Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Thinking of selling my Drascombe to hire a boat occasionally instead!

Allan, have you thought about hiring YOUR boat out which could fund the new hobby?
    Gosport NCI - Call us on Ch 65 for a radio check if passing.

Default Re: Thinking of selling my Drascombe to hire a boat occasionally instead!

Give it a winter and the shine will go off biking!
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Have you considered selling a share via a notice at local club? You might find someone willing to use and co fund a mooring etc? I'm sure many would like the occasionally use of a Drascombe on a mooring up by say Thorney etc even if tidal . Curious to know what the likely number you might expect for Drascombe ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zagato View Post
    I am thinking the unthinkable about selling my much loved Drascombe to occasionally hire a small boat instead. Does anyone know of any companies along the south coast preferably Chichester - Weymouth that hires smaller, powered sailing boats suitable for single handing?

The reason for this for those that know me is that I have really got back into motorbiking this year and see my my new mates 2-3 times a week and we go out regularly for rides. It takes 15 mins to get the bike and myself ready before I have instant fun. In contrast my boat sits on the drive most of the year, and sailing for me with sea sickness when weather conditions are right is limited. I would be VERY sad to see my boat go but It just makes if I could just hire a boat occasionally and free up funds to put into my new hobby. I have not sailed at all this year and only bob about mostly in estauries when I do. I was talking to a marine designer who now works largely abroad who was saying thay many folks are chartering instead of owning and it kind of makes sense if you can only sail occasionally. To be able to hire a little Shrimper/Drascombe etc occasionally would be ideal for me.
    In Chi Harbour, Itchenor boat hire will hire you a substantial open sailing boat, or a motorboat with cuddy for a day or overnight:

http://www.itchenorboathire.co.uk/boats.html

Thanks for all your replies. I have only just now sadly decided to sell my boat, I just have to do it, sad as it is, I would just get more pleasure from a bike (if only sea sickness didn,t plague me so badly, please no cure suggestions been discussed and tried over the years on this forum) and thanks for the links to hire in Mylor and especially Mark-1 with the Itchenor boat hire link. I actually know Tim the owner well as I stored my boat with him for a number of years but didn,t know he had expanded his hire fleet from one RIB to what is on offer now and especially the little sailing boat with outboard for day sailing in estuaries... Perfect for my family in Chi harbour, many thanks.

Well I put an advert up three days ago, found a prospective buyer in Spain but my trailer is not EU registered which drew the selling process out. Realistically he would have needed to buy a new trailer. As he was thinking about it all, so was I and I just knew it was a mistake to sell. I left it a day then told him I didn,t want to sell, no problem he said, it was all too much for him with logistics and trailer issue so everyone remains happy.

The great thing about a GRP boat is it can be left undercover for a long time until you want to use it again. I have put too much into her and gained too much knowledge (well kind of) sailing her in local waters to give it all up. My kids would miss out and when I am old and smell my wife will want me out of the way from under her feet so... She is a keeper, I could never find a Coaster like her again as she is still the ideal boat for me for waking up in on an estuary somewhere around the country if you see a little green boat up a creek one morning and smell burning bacon, that will be me.
    Last edited by Zagato; 31-10-18 at 08:07.

Would ya mate Tim, have it on his books to hire out while you still own it, take a percentage and you still have the use of it?

I wouldn,t want to hire her out, she is in too nice condition and I don,t like sharing my toys! No I just have to keep saving for a second bike, no big deal plenty to do with house renovation, classic car exisitng FJR1300 bike. I have finished landscaping the garden, planting hedges etc over the last three years and just completed major groundworks outside shifting 120 tonnes of soil in 10 twenty tonne lorries to create a larger parking area the size of three double garages to park my boat and clients cars for rust prevention work (classics to brand new cars). New toys are the last priority...

Glad to hear you're not giving up the Drascombe.

Just one thought...plenty of boats at my club have owners who remain keen, but are too busy "at the moment" to use their boats...

...they keep paying the dues, and suddenly five years have passed, the boat is pitiably neglected and beyond easy restoration...

...none of their owners would have possibly foreseen so much time passing before they used the boat again...so...

...before you stop focusing on your Drascombe, be sure she has a really good cover. If it needs replacement, spend the money today, it's worth it.

Oh Yes, she is well protected. I bought a thick heavy duty cover three years ago and it is still like new, no deterioration what so ever. I just wish I could remember what it is made from and who the company was I bought it from. Think it was about 450. Not fitted just a big rectangle... It is heavy though so not suitable for those that don,t eat shredded wheat!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast