Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Thinking of selling my Drascombe to hire a boat occasionally instead!

Sounds like good stuff Mr Z.

As long as it's snug enough to exclude leaves and precipitation and nesting wasps and home-making rodents.

They all only need time unobserved, to make a filthy mess of a nice boat.

Default Re: Thinking of selling my Drascombe to hire a boat occasionally instead!

I prescribe an annual outing in the Drascombe. I doubt there will be any significant depreciation other than the cover, and the power of a good sail after abstinence is a wonderful thing. I have used our Wayfarer twice this year at Easter, and once over the summer. That is more than a good enough reason to have the boat in our front garden. If that doesn't work then yes, you can sell!
    PS Jack the trailer off the ground to save yer tyres (I'm sure you do )

Drascombes a well nigh indestructible. Before I got mine (technically a Devon, but same difference) she had sat out-of-door in a Scottish boatyard, uncovered, for five or sex years. She had a foot of water in her, and a couple of inches of mud from decomposing leaves. A couple of hours with a pressure washer and se looked like new, apart from some rotten floorboards.

It's not treatment I'd recommend, but with moderate precautions a lay-up of years should be fine. I'd store the floorboards somewhere dry. Last year I bought an all over cover for the winter, but had lots of problems with it sagging and pooling water. This year I am trying just the cockpit cover, which keeps her beautifully dry on her mooring.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

image.jpg

Yes the thick cover does a great job and shows no sign of deterioration from this picture three years ago. This whole area has been dug up this year for hard standing for my vehicle undersealing/rust prevention business hence the Defenders so she is parked next to my new workshop space. I bought new wheels and tyres (tyres same price as new wheels with tyres on them) last year and move the trailer every now and then to avoid flat spots and keep the brakes from jamming. Top tip I sprayed the wheels in clear Dinitrol Corroheat which stops them rusting when they get dipped just under the axles.

I will be launching her next March and look forward to a few Drascombe rallies in the south, I.e. Portland, Norfolk, IofW and hopefully Mylor once again.

image.jpg
    Last edited by Zagato; 02-11-18 at 20:33.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123