Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 46
  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    1,061

    Default Re: Levington to Brightlingsea in one and a half Hours

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
    Thanks for the advice I am sure us and others will consider what you say. Please tell me does the 6 knot limit apply to sail boats under sail as well, because of course they will go over this at full sail and I see very few trying to slow down to 6 knots
    Yes it does apply to sailing boats. It applies to you as well. As does the 8 knot limit in the relevant places. As ninjod said - probably not so smart really...
    Last edited by Sea_Spray; 22-10-18 at 13:34. Reason: Clarification
    Save someone's life ... https://www.mind.org.uk/donate

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    RHYC,Suffolk
    Posts
    982

    Default Re: Levington to Brightlingsea in one and a half Hours

    Did Levington to Brightlingsea just short of an hour once (but I wasn't paying for fuel!)

    Hope the wallet was slightly kinder to you than the trip we had from the Ramsholt - Harwich via RIB on Saturday - Nasty chop.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Brightlingsea, Essex
    Posts
    2,998

    Default Re: Levington to Brightlingsea in one and a half Hours

    I have known KK for some 50 odd years now and he still looks the same! I recall he and his Dad had bought their Dauntless up on Brightlingsea hard (probably 45 years back) on the same tide that my Dad and I bought our 26 footer onto the hard for scrubbing off...we were joined by a couple of fishing smacks on the same tide...the hard was rather crowded that morning!
    Last edited by Cobra; 22-10-18 at 16:15.
    I wish they would move mornings to a more convenient time of the day...

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    745

    Default Re: Levington to Brightlingsea in one and a half Hours

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
    Thanks for the advice I am sure us and others will consider what you say. Please tell me does the 6 knot limit apply to sail boats under sail as well, because of course they will go over this at full sail and I see very few trying to slow down to 6 knots
    I wonder if this rather sour riposte is intended to include racing dinghys, foiling moths & windsurfers too?

    Personally I'd far rather have ribs doing 22Kts (and making little or no wake at all) 100m from me even in the river, let alone at sea than have a bloody drone come ½ a mile from Levington direction and hover literally between my backstay and shrouds while snoozing in the cockpit at anchor. Whoever did that really was unspeakably irresponsible, antisocial intrusive and rude, leaving alone the legal aspects.
    Last edited by Old Bumbulum; 22-10-18 at 14:13.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,149

    Default Re: Levington to Brightlingsea in one and a half Hours

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea_Spray View Post
    Yes it does apply to sailing boats. It applies to you as well. As does the 8 knot limit in the relevant places. As ninjod said - probably not so smart really...
    Many thanks for your input. Very useful. Tell me have you ever done 30mph in a 30 limit
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,149

    Default Re: Levington to Brightlingsea in one and a half Hours

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Bumbulum View Post
    I wonder if this rather sour riposte is intended to include racing dinghys, foiling moths & windsurfers too?

    Personally I'd far rather have ribs doing 22Kts (and making little or no wake at all) 100m from me even in the river, let alone at sea than have a bloody drone come ½ a mile from Levington direction and hover literally between my backstay and shrouds while snoozing in the cockpit at anchor. Whoever did that really was unspeakably irresponsible, antisocial intrusive and rude, leaving alone the legal aspects.
    I am glad you understand about the lack of wash a Rib makes on the Plane. If a Drone pilot did as you say I agree they were being very irresponsible and that is indeed not acceptable in my book. I can assure you that is not the sort of flying I would do or indeed condone. Please don't tar all Drone pilots with the same brush (especially if it has been in the antifoul)
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: Levington to Brightlingsea in one and a half Hours

    Drone pilots "with a right to fly" seem tho think they can do so as close as they like to others in open space (be they doing 30 Kts up the Wallet or on a mooring enjoying a bit of quiet contemplation in the cockpit.
    Not so - have a look at https://bmfa.org/Info/Know-the-Law points 3 and 4 under Additional Laws applying to Small unmanned surveillance aircraft.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    745

    Default Re: Levington to Brightlingsea in one and a half Hours

    Tar all drone pilots with the same brush? I rather wish I could tar them with a load of #6 shot instead. I think all drone "pilots" (a pretentious misnomer for untrained, unlicensed purchasers) know full well what the rules are and far too many ignore them totally on the spurious justification of "I do because I can" and "there are too many rules and I can't be bothered with them"....Sound familiar?
    It's just that drones, like jetskis and ribs seem to appeal to the less compliant antisocial members of our society who seem to need to express their non-compliance by irritating the #### out of the rest of us just because they can whilst being effectively impossible to identify.

    They can be nasty, intrusive offensive and noisy, antisocial and sometimes hazardous like the imbecile that put his nosy-camera between my shrouds and backstay. Why shouldn't I tar them with the same brush? The only ones I've ever seen have all behaved like this.

    And oddly they've all been on the Orwell/Stour
    Nowhere else.
    Last edited by Old Bumbulum; 23-10-18 at 02:02.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,149

    Default Re: Levington to Brightlingsea in one and a half Hours

    Quote Originally Posted by WFA View Post
    Drone pilots "with a right to fly" seem tho think they can do so as close as they like to others in open space (be they doing 30 Kts up the Wallet or on a mooring enjoying a bit of quiet contemplation in the cockpit.
    Not so - have a look at https://bmfa.org/Info/Know-the-Law points 3 and 4 under Additional Laws applying to Small unmanned surveillance aircraft.
    I am well aware of that thanks. Perhaps you should ask yourself what you do that either annoys others or is against some rule or another
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,149

    Default Re: Levington to Brightlingsea in one and a half Hours

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Bumbulum View Post
    Tar all drone pilots with the same brush? I rather wish I could tar them with a load of #6 shot instead. I think all drone "pilots" (a pretentious misnomer for untrained, unlicensed purchasers) know full well what the rules are and far too many ignore them totally on the spurious justification of "I do because I can" and "there are too many rules and I can't be bothered with them"....Sound familiar?
    It's just that drones, like jetskis and ribs seem to appeal to the less compliant antisocial members of our society who seem to need to express their non-compliance by irritating the #### out of the rest of us just because they can whilst being effectively impossible to identify.

    They can be nasty, intrusive offensive and noisy, antisocial and sometimes hazardous like the imbecile that put his nosy-camera between my shrouds and backstay. Why shouldn't I tar them with the same brush? The only ones I've ever seen have all behaved like this.

    And oddly they've all been on the Orwell/Stour
    Nowhere else.
    And you think that shooting people with a shot gun is acceptable as you stated above. You are clearly an unbalanced, stupid horrible person.

    I have thought about this further and taking account of the fact that your post contained threats of physical violence I am referring this matter to the Police. Your user name is most likely your boat name so you should not be too difficult for them to find.
    Last edited by Bigplumbs; 23-10-18 at 06:41.
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to