Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default If one more person says ''I bet its like painting the Forth Bridge''

Hi New on here so i thought i would post a couple of pics of my Boat. She's a 1953 Sandbanks Motor sailer with a Gardner 4lw' 40ft long' 11beam' Oak' teak' & mahogany' Iv'e had her for around 11ish years & had No idea how much nonstop work she would be when i bought her! But she looks good!
    Last edited by Tris; 22-10-18 at 18:42.

Default Re: If one more person says ''I bet its like painting the Forth Bridge''

Very pretty! She'll be a real looker once you're rid of all that white paint hiding the hull! Lucky as well that there's a coffee mug stopping the support from slipping away!
    Folkboat 'Stakkr' - Inverness - http://islandrov.wix.com/island-rov-web

Default Re: If one more person says ''I bet its like painting the Forth Bridge''

Wooden boats are like Giraffes, lovely to look at, but I wouldn't want to own one

Well done for keeping her in fine fettle for the rest of us to admire.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Hi, she looks great, well done nice to keep something unique in such lovely condition.
    Thanks Moby

Well done, a fine bit of work.

Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post
    Wooden boats are like Giraffes, lovely to look at, but I wouldn't want to own one

Well done for keeping her in fine fettle for the rest of us to admire.
    Everyone should have a very good friend who owns a classic wooden boat - but own a nice, easy plastic one themselves.

Certainly does look terrific.

I reckon it's lucky there are so many people who care as much as they do, about keeping wooden boats at their best.

When people say “I love looking at wooden boats but couldn’t own one myself” I tend to agree with them. They say they’d rather sail than maintain, but I reckon I do more of both than they do. However, I’m baffled, just how excatly can you love a plastic boat?

My neighbours had assumed I have a wooden boat, one of those immaculately glossy classics. This was on the basis of the number of times they've seen me taking hand-tools, brushes, sandpaper and paint to the car.

I think they were disappointed and mystified when I said it's mostly GRP which largely looks after itself.

Seriously though, Phill...surely you've encountered wooden boats you didn't especially like, and GRP yachts with lines you couldn't help admiring?

I admire the looks of my boat very much, even when I'm not able to sail her. I sometimes take a picnic down there and enjoy the glorious view.

The fact that she doesn't need as much attention as an equivalent woodie would, means I do go sailing, too. Sometimes.

Looks very nice, the plastic owners just don’t get the satisfaction of owning a proper boat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast