Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: If one more person says ''I bet its like painting the Forth Bridge''

Lot more worry in owning a woodenboat such as if the boat is in a marina berth with the sun constantly heat g up one side it will affect the planking......personally a grp boat has as much soul as a wooden boat

Default Re: If one more person says ''I bet its like painting the Forth Bridge''

Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post
    Wooden boats are like Giraffes, lovely to look at, but I wouldn't want to own one

Well done for keeping her in fine fettle for the rest of us to admire.
    I reckon it would be pretty cool to own a giraffe. As it is I make do with a couple of wooden boats. They get used more than most of the plastic boats in the harbour, and it is a lifestyle choice. Your boat looks lovely and will bring you much joy.

The bits of boat maintenance that are enjoyable are the bits that involve wood and paint. The horrible bits to me are the bits that involve plumbing, electrics and engines. Most plastic boat owners seem able to put up with all that faff.
    Last edited by Romeo; 22-10-18 at 18:36.

Quote Originally Posted by slowboat View Post
    Looks very nice, the plastic owners just donít get the satisfaction of owning a proper boat.
    Hmmm... A bit like houses really - friends of ours have a Tudor cottage - several hundred years old and it looks fantastic. Trouble is that it's a listed building - they have to ask permission before changing a light bulb. Maintenance is a nightmare and it's a money pit. In the winter, they spend a fortune in heating and it still feels cold much of the time. Personally, I'm very happy to visit them on Christmas Eve for mulled wine huddled up close to the big brick fireplace but very glad to return to our twenty year old estate built house which is always warm and needs very little maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    ...they spend a fortune in heating and it still feels cold much of the time. Personally, I'm very happy to visit them on Christmas Eve for mulled wine huddled up close to the big brick fireplace but very glad to return to our twenty year old estate built house which is always warm...
    You're just nesh.

Quote Originally Posted by dancrane View Post
    You're just nesh.
    Most certainly - 100%!!!

My first serious girlfriend was a Yorkshire lass and when her sister first clapped eyes on me, she announced to the world "Eeee, look at 'im - he's nesh!"

Beautiful.

I do take my hat off to people like you that keep these old boats going.

PS, no need to worry about the "FB" as it's been epoxy or something fancy coated and wont need doing again for a good long time...
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    My first serious girlfriend was a Yorkshire lass and when her sister first clapped eyes on me, she announced to the world "Eeee, look at 'im - he's nesh!"
    Good grief. You remind me why I've never been north of the Humber! Not since we moved south, anyway.

I wonder if passionate lovers of wooden boats who are equally averse to boats which aren't wooden, are fussy about which wood?

I can't help thinking plywood is itself so unnatural in its manufacture, that purists are probably a bit sniffy about boats made from it.

Quote Originally Posted by slowboat View Post
    Looks very nice, the plastic owners just donít get the satisfaction of owning a proper boat.
    It's true as a plastic boat owner I get the satisfaction of many weeks sailing and modern comforts that keep guests coming back but when I look at the boat at anchor in some new bay I've never visited before I think, "I love living this way", not "I love this boat".

I'm still glad I did all the patching and varnishing and caulking and sanding and..... when I was young and love looking at wooden boats sailing by.

You want to use the stuff they put on the Forth Bridge, they now do it once every thirty years.
    Harwich for the Continent - Brexit For the Incontinent . Sadler 290

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

I had a boat that I loved dearly and a good part of the pleasure of sailing her was just that - she was a beautiful traditional boat, and sailing her was a bit like walking into a room with a beautiful girl on your arm.

I have now gone over to the dark side, not because of the maintenance, which I always enjoyed, but because I wanted to sail into warm waters.

I am now doing just as much maintenance, but most of it involves spanners rather than brushes. Not sure it is a big improvement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast