Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New sails

Default New sails

Evening all. Need a new mainsail for hummingbird 30, looking for a long lasting heavy duty type thing, our current sail is 15 years old so keen to get the same sort of wear. Sure I won’t have the boat for another 15 years but then again I did say that 15 years ago. Boat is Ipswich base. Had 1 quote over the phone which scared me 😂, anybody got any sailmaker recommendations who they have had a god balance between price and quality please? Ta adam

Default Re: New sails

I using a Crusader Genoa, todate is has outlasted the previous GO sail that was twice the cost.
    Having said that the GO sail was a better shape & i should have had more dialogue with Crusader to get a nicer cut, but as i only cruise its ok for the job
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

There's no such thing as as 'only cruising'.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

Try
    Wilkinsons in Whitstable.
    Jeckells.
    One Sails.
    Kemp.

For a long lasting sail I would suggest Vectran sailcloth and a fully battened main, but both cost extra. In reality you only get what you pay for. Also check where the sail is made as many are made or partly made in the Far East, having a local sail maker is very useful.
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

I've found OneSails at Levington can be fairly realistic.

I have been pleased with the sails I got from Kemp. Well worth calling them and discussing your needs.

Talk to Andy McIvor of ADM Sails in Maldon. I can recommend his work and he also looks after the interests of a lot of high level racing boats too.
    "I thought my daffodils were yellow until I met Joe Kennedy."

Crusader here. They ncame to measure, choice of fabric at no extra cost, great after sales service and the cheapest by a country mile
    Pardon?

Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

Quote Originally Posted by Champagne Murphy View Post
    Crusader here. They ncame to measure, choice of fabric at no extra cost, great after sales service and the cheapest by a country mile
    Alas that is not my experience. In the past I had a complete set of 6 sails from Crusader and I was happy with them. However a couple of years ago when I asked for a quote for a new main and furling genoa in Vectran sail cloth, they changed the genoa and quoted for standard Dacron. An error like that is something that should not happen, hence why I did not recommend them.
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

I had a new FB main this season, and a new Genoa two ago... both from Jeckells.

Came down, measured the boat, sails right the first time exactly to the spec I wanted, on time. Very competitive on price.

I’m pleased so far and would recommend them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast