Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New sails

Default Re: New sails

When I was looking for a cruising chute, Jeckells were the cheapest.Perhaps not the most advanced sail design, but they impressed me with their setup in the sail loft (I visited while it was being made). They also took account of my being a cruiser and (without being asked) offered a slightly heavier cloth to allow it to be used over a wider range of wind-speeds. They use a flat-bed laser cutter to cut the panels, so every panel is very precisely cut. I suppose what impressed me was that they were completely happy to have me poking around while they worked, and I was able to watch the seamstress sewing the head of the sail! Their snuffer design is simple and practical, without a great big lump of plastic at the masthead. Again, I saw them putting the sail int he snuffer, and they were entirely happy to have me asking silly questions while they did it.

They are also dog friendly; our dog, Jack, came to oversee the process, and he was made very welcome

Of course, the other thing is that Noah probably ordered sails from Jeckells - they've been around for a very long time!

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    I've found OneSails at Levington can be fairly realistic.
    +1

That's all good comparative info, thank you one and all, I really appreciate it. Suffolk sails? Dolphin? I am terrified about making a mistake. Does a loose footed sail work with an old school boom , assume it just doesn't have the bolt rope? And is tensioned in the same way? Ta adam

Dolphin and Gowen Ocean are the same company, and I bought new Genny in 2009, and main in 2010 from GO as the local W Mersea loft. I'm very pleased with both, and they weren't that expensive. Both fitted perfectly from new and transformed the handling and performance of the boat...
    Larry Botheras

Colvic Victor 35 "Gladys"

Ah, now I understand what GO is, yes they are on
    My list to call, thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by adamstjohn View Post
    That's all good comparative info, thank you one and all, I really appreciate it. Suffolk sails? Dolphin? I am terrified about making a mistake. Does a loose footed sail work with an old school boom , assume it just doesn't have the bolt rope? And is tensioned in the same way? Ta adam
    I had a new main from Suffolk Sails last winter. Vectran I think it was, which appears to be dacron but with strands of something very different every 10 mill, it actually means the sail can be a slightly lighter fabric overall but with superior strength and ability to retain shape compared to Dacron. I too am based in Ipswich and wanted to use someone local. Simon was happy to match the price of Sanders Sails who also quoted ( they made the previous set, and still had the measurements after 14 years). Good service, all done over the winter and ready on time. As far as I know the sailcloth supplier in Germany laser cuts the panels which are then all sewn together etc in Woodbridge. I'm now having a sprayhood from Suffolk Sails, not yet finished.
    Andrew

+1 for Jeckells for the same reasons.

I used Doug Seaden, Sailmaker 07720 056669. He used to work with Gowen but is now (for several years) independent. I liked his service and quality - he personally measured the boat, he discussed every aspect personally with me and he cut and made the sails (Genny and Main). He then personally supervised my fitting and test sail. I thought the cost was reasonable.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Quote Originally Posted by tillergirl View Post
    I used Doug Seaden, Sailmaker 07720 056669. He used to work with Gowen but is now (for several years) independent. I liked his service and quality - he personally measured the boat, he discussed every aspect personally with me and he cut and made the sails (Genny and Main). He then personally supervised my fitting and test sail. I thought the cost was reasonable.
    Doug was still at GO & supervised my Main & Genoa manufacture
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

Quote Originally Posted by tidclacy View Post
    +1

+2 for Parker and Kay Onesails at Levington. As others suggest, it's good to use a sailmaker who will actually measure up on board rather than assume everything is standard on your boat.

Peter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast