Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Molesey Lock Closure

I was taken by surprise to find out that, according to the gov.uk EA website, Molesey Lock is to close from this weekend for 4 months and that Teddington is closing until March (though I presume that is just ones side).

I would have thought that some notification on the lock itself would be appropriate to save people getting caught in the wrong place. Or is there a presumption that everyone regularly reads the EA government website. Or have I missed prominent notices elsewhere?

Default Re: Molesey Lock Closure

Even though the work is necessary and the EA are quite rightly investing in the infrastructure, a notice would result in many boaters quite rightly moaning to the staff about the ridiculous amount of time the lock will be closed for.

Rightly or wrongly methinks EA imagine that few boats will move out of season and there will be even fewer visitors.
    There are notices (or used to be) posted in each lock office - but not a lot of use if tha's in Yorkshire.

If I go cruising out of season off the Thames I ALWAYS check the relevant navigation authority's website - seems the sensible thing to do??

The EA emails notices on a regular basis to anyone who is interested. Without searching through them, I believe that information on these closures went out to everyone some time ago.
    "It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."

The EA have just announced that the Molesey Lock closure will be extended to 1 March 2019 from the earlier date of 31 January. Dovetailing with works to the Sunbury Dry Dock is being cited as the reason.

FFS, how can they take so bloody long? That's 250 of licence fee when I can't use the non tidal (yes I know it's a tax to float and not a licence to cruise)
    Marooned of Teddington
    Last edited by Actionmat; 03-12-18 at 21:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Actionmat View Post
    FFS, how can they take so bloody long? That's 250 of licence fee when I can't use the non tidal (yes I know it's a tax to float and not a licence to cruise)
    Marooned of Teddington
    Have you ever seen the work involved in refurbishing a lock and refitting new gates??
    (a rhetorical question) - if not go and have a look...

Time was when EA had an open day when the public / boaters were invited to view and ask questions. That was in the days of Paul Power - but I've not heard of an offer since.

Yes, it's inconvenient - but only for a very few as there's little boat movement in the off season and even less in the winter. (Except for NBs - but 'we' don't talk about them, do we....)

You had plenty of notice, so you could have moved your boat - couldn't you.....

Where could i have moved it? To a marina for 5 months when I'm already paying for a mooring?
    I use my boat all year, what's an off season?
    There are hundreds of boats here, not a few, plus dozens of liveaboards who'll be emptying their toilets in the river until March 2019.
    And no, I haven't seen a lock refurbished and find it unbelievable that it's going to take longer than it took me to build our last house.

.......it may also depend on exactly what they find as work progresses.
    East Farleigh on the Medway was a classic case. A vital lock,similar to Molesely, which once shut, prevented access to the entire upper part of navigation.
    Despite considerable efforts to gather info on what little suprises might be revealed under the chamber, the delay time and cost multiplied the further down they went.
    These locks are tiny compared to Molesely .
    Perhaps a result of the delayed mantainance caused by lack of funding.
    Fortunately just about all the other works need to bring the Medway up to scratch has, in the last decade , been finished.
    A definate change in the ethos of the EA regards who they are trying to get to enjoy the river.
    The classic motorboater market is moribund, most upper Medway boats now merely floating sheds, with skippers who actually go anywhere choosing to moor below the lock.
    New infrastructure improvements mean your far more likely to encounter rowers, kayakers, cyclists, fishermen and even mere walkers enjoying the river than boaters.
    East Farleigh Lock

Photos here of the amount of work rebuilding Yalding Lock chamber.
    http://www.allingtonlock.co.uk/hampstead.php

Last edited by oldgit; 05-12-18 at 08:34.

Interesting pic, cheers. I'll be heading there for a look, it will be interesting to see what they're doing. There is certainly an abundance of rowers around here, but also plenty of moving boats(Or there was). I'm on mine all year and there is always a steady flow of MBs and passenger trip boats when I'm working on her. Certainly more boaters than anglers.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast