Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Molesey Lock Closure

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    .......The classic motorboater market is moribund,
    ark at you with your "moribund" - i had to look that up!!

Quote Originally Posted by Parabordi View Post
    ark at you with your "moribund" - i had to look that up!!
    been waiting ages for somewhere to use that word.

What a shanty town the area around the lock has become. Trotman on the Hampton Court side of the lock, on EA property with 2 slumboats, unable to access the pump out with his pee barge for the next 4 months. From the lock to the end of cigarette island is full of boats and I didn't see one licence between them. The only visible licence on one NB expired in 2011!

Between Molesey and Kingston, 32 boats on council land or EA moorings, only 3 were displaying 2018 licences. 3 boats on TVM operated moorings, all overstaying the 48hr limit, all unlicensed.
    Last edited by Actionmat; 09-12-18 at 19:46.

That is really taking the p*ss...

Programme on R4 on Sunday morning "Open Country" about the burgeoning number of folks taking to the water with a narrowboat for a home.
    To be fair it did try to inform the listening public about the hidden costs and downsides to living afloat.
    However not one of the folks living aboard who were interviewed gave the slightest hint of being uphappy with their decision.
    Seemed equally divided between those who wanted the lifestyle and those driven by economics.
    Do not think we are about to see a decline in the numbers making the choice.
    Time to accept reality and make provision for more narrowboats and finally accept the weekend gin palace hegemony on the gilded pond is over ?

*look it up.
    Last edited by oldgit; 10-12-18 at 08:18.

A marina berth is still cheaper than a double room in a house. They've got no excuse whatsoever for squatting, it's just a desire to live for free while everyone else works for am living. And as for the biggest problem, Mr Trotman, what should the council do with him? Give him a few hundred feet of town centre moorings with power and sewage connection so he can continue trading unhindered?

If this was France, the gin palace owners(as you put it)would be wearing yellow jackets.

Even if it was down to a lifestyle choice and all boats were actually moving, or permanently cruising(which they're not), what's speaks volumes is their unwillingness to but a licence or a pump out card.
    Last edited by Actionmat; 10-12-18 at 08:43.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    Time to accept reality and make provision for more narrowboats and finally accept the weekend gin palace hegemony on the gilded pond is over ?
    *look it up.

But the minority are in NBs. That shows lack of knowledge about the issue in this area.

Wonder what the actual ratio between boats / narrowboats who both moor / visit the Thames is today.
    If proper suitable long term moorings were provided wether by private or public companies perhaps this could solve the problem.
    Suspect if you provided some decent quality mooring with pumpouts/power and security, our chum would be out of business tomorrow or better still why not put him in charge........ ?
    Poacher turned gamekeeper.
    Last edited by oldgit; 10-12-18 at 13:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Actionmat View Post
    But the minority are in NBs. That shows lack of knowledge about the issue in this area.
    I agree, but suspect it's because the NBs cost more money to buy than the old heaps that are around.

What ever happened to the EA doing a purge? They towed two boats away from Kingston, when was that? September? Made some noise, and left the rest... I'm sure if the EA want some volunteers to assist in the operations, there'd be a fair few who would lend a hand FoC.

Anyone can make an 'enquiry' to the EA about the state of the boats on the river via enquiries_THM@environment-agency.gov.uk. I believe they are meant to respond within 48 hours, and did the last time I 'enquired' about a heap of shite on the river, but didn't finally follow up for 3 weeks to say they were moored on private land, which was BS. I led to believe there's also a new Waterways Officer called Vincent Hoar that you can email too in the format firstname.lastname@...

If you've the names of any boats, you can also check their registration status on the gov data portal: https://data.gov.uk/dataset/9baaf5b2...stered-by-year - follow the 'resource' link and you'll get an Excel file that can be searched - note there are worksheets per year.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast