Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Molesey Lock Closure

A lot of those boats have no name, they know how to play the EA.

How far would you get down the road in an old camper van with no licence plates, tax or insurance?

Or hanging your backside out of the window for a deep six?

No wonder they've taken to the river.

I spoke to one young lad and he could afford a room or a berth but he chose not to. He was working cash in hand and was living in a hammock in the park before he heard about boats and joined the Reading community. Being surrounded by junkies and theives is stressful so he's now moved on. Getting a piece of paper taped to your window with a letter from the EA is treated as a joke by a lot of them.
    Many people will have different stories to tell, but the hardcore are just tight. They have their priorities and their priorities are not paying their way in society like the rest of us mugs. The answer should not be free or subsidised moorings, the answer should be the power to remove and crush the boats of repeat offenders. The DVLA wouldn't think twice about doing it to a vehicle, even if someone called it home.
    Last edited by Actionmat; 10-12-18 at 18:09.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    Programme on R4 on Sunday morning "Open Country" about the burgeoning number of folks taking to the water with a narrowboat for a home.
    To be fair it did try to inform the listening public about the hidden costs and downsides to living afloat.
    However not one of the folks living aboard who were interviewed gave the slightest hint of being uphappy with their decision.
    Seemed equally divided between those who wanted the lifestyle and those driven by economics.
    Do not think we are about to see a decline in the numbers making the choice.
    Time to accept reality and make provision for more narrowboats and finally accept the weekend gin palace hegemony on the gilded pond is over ?

*look it up.
    I shall try to find that broadcast it sounds interesting.
    I have known a fair few liveaboards over the years and not one having made the leap has wanted to return to bricks and mortar.

Quote Originally Posted by Flynnbarr View Post
    I shall try to find that broadcast it sounds interesting.
    I have known a fair few liveaboards over the years and not one having made the leap has wanted to return to bricks and mortar.
    We have a few club members who have choosen to live afloat, all appear to be perfect normal folks and appear sadly lacking in the grudge against society in general tendency dept.

Usually broadcast at 06.00 on R4 Sunday mornings.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001fvx
    Last edited by oldgit; 11-12-18 at 08:36.

Rosie and Jim don't live on this part of the river. If a retired permanent cruiser found themselves moored amongst the crowd we have now, they'd move on quicker than you could say "Tescos Reading".

Thanks for the link OG,interesting.
    P.s..I know you Medway chaps like a bargain......have you seen the turbo 36 on ebay for 25k!

Quote Originally Posted by Flynnbarr View Post
    Thanks for the link OG,interesting.
    P.s..I know you Medway chaps like a bargain......have you seen the turbo 36 on ebay for 25k!
    Lots of work and most probably used as a livaboard ......however on the up side.

"Sound system installed including radio, bluetooth music, 2000 watt amp, TV and XBox."

A Turbo 36 at PH, although reduced to near 40K , failed to sell, prospective buyer withdrew and found another T36 up at Henley for not much more money. Boat now on the Medway.

A hive of inactivity today. 6 weeks in, gates off, lock full, no one around, anyone else seen any action or have they stopped work for Christmas?
    YBW not uploading my pics at the moment, will try again later.

Quote Originally Posted by Actionmat View Post
    A hive of inactivity today. 6 weeks in, gates off, lock full, no one around, anyone else seen any action or have they stopped work for Christmas?
    That's very clever - how do they keep the water in with no gates? Does our esteemed Harbour Master have some hidden power (other than his charm, of course)??

Likely they've taken the gates up to Sunbury for some fettling as EA can't afford new ones....

Upstream set only
    6 weeks to take half the gates off and park Cooks Piling vessels in the lock. I'd like to know how that compares to their schedule of works.

Quote Originally Posted by Actionmat View Post
    Post pix please, too lazy to go up there...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast