Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ensign question

Default Ensign question

Hi,
    It is probably a lame one, apologies.

As a foreigner living in the UK and owning a boat registered here what ensign should I fly? RYA Flag etiquette is very ambiguous:

"The Ensign is the national flag and denotes the country of registration. Generally this will follow the nationality of the owner."

I am kinda confused, but I am pretty sure there are relevant regulations?

Pikor

Bricks & mortar: Italy. Me & boat: Aegean

Default Re: Ensign question

You write that it's registered in the UK, so that's the ensign it should wear. No ambiguity at all.
    If remaining in UK waters, there's actually no requirement for you to wear an ensign at all, although most boats seem to do so.

Should you wish to display something to denote your nationality, or just out of fondness for your old country, a courtesy-flag sized job can be flown from the port spreader.

And welcome to the forum.

P.S. I've had chance to check the RYA website. This page might be more informative than whatever you've read so far: https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-adv...etiquette.aspx
    In particular this sentence sums up matters:
    "A UK registered vessel should wear the national maritime flag, the Red Ensign, unless entitled to wear a special Ensign."

Wherever your original quote came from, it's wrong. The ensign is not the national flag: it's the national maritime flag. The two are sometimes the same, but definitely not so in the case of the UK. (In fact it's a criminal offence to fly a Union flag from a British boat, unless Her Majesty or the Royal Navy happen to own it. But I guess you've already had plenty of wry amusement at the quirky ways of old Albion.)
    Last edited by macd; 25-10-18 at 12:30.
    All epigrams are false

SWMBO's French, so we used to fly a Tricolore from the port spreader. We stopped after the fiftieth person told us we'd forgotten our courtesy flag
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    SWMBO's French, so we used to fly a Tricolore from the port spreader. We stopped after the fiftieth person told us we'd forgotten our courtesy flag
    I hope you got your own back with a long and tedious lecture to each of them, on the hierarchy and significance of the various flag positions.

Ooooohhhh Yeeesss
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Of course, if your boat is in Scottish waters, a Scottish red ensign is appreciated.
    gb-s-mer.gif

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    Of course, if your boat is in Scottish waters, a Scottish red ensign is appreciated.
    gb-s-mer.gif
    Why not a Sainsbury or Morrison's flag?
    It's just as relevant to boating and has as much to do with an "ensign" as the diagram you posted.
    Indeed, why not just use a dirty pillowcase if that's all the respect you have for your country?

Why don't you believe that it's relevant within our country?
    Folkboat 'Stakkr' - Inverness - http://islandrov.wix.com/island-rov-web

Scottish red precedes the UK version by some considerable time. I don't think Sainsbury or Morrison have that historical cachet.

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    Scottish red precedes the UK version by some considerable time. I don't think Sainsbury or Morrison have that historical cachet.
    I'd like to see some evidence of that. I've never seen an old version of this flag in any museum and I lived in Scotland for over 20 years. Plenty of Red, White and Blue UK ensigns in maritime museums though.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast