Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ensign question

Default Re: Ensign question

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat47 View Post
    I'd like to see some evidence of that.
    Try Wiki - it's there so might even be true! This is a print of someone's interpretation of the Darien expedition - if only it was in colour - with at least 2 flags with saltire quartiles.
    nicold01pic2.jpg

Plenty of Devon ensigns are seen in these parts.

I usually forget to display any ensign while in home waters.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    Scottish red precedes the UK version by some considerable time. I don't think Sainsbury or Morrison have that historical cachet.
    Its the modern world though, Sainsbury's and Mozzers are so much more inclusive with none of the nationalistic hate stuff.
    I might fly a co-op ensign when I get a new boat, show solidarity with the Rochdale principles.

Bricks & mortar: Italy. Me & boat: Aegean

Quote Originally Posted by JBJag27 View Post
    ...show solidarity with the Rochdale principles.
    The pre-Fat Cyril ones, at any rate.
    (Odd factoid that Rochdale claimed the widest bridge in Europe, and the widest MP.)
    All epigrams are false

Quote Originally Posted by JBJag27 View Post
    Its the modern world though, Sainsbury's and Mozzers are so much more inclusive with none of the nationalistic hate stuff.
    I might fly a co-op ensign when I get a new boat, show solidarity with the Rochdale principles.
    "Nationalistic hate stuff"? And I thought it was the Scots who had chips on their shoulders. The Scot Nats, and not everyone who wears a Scottish red ensign is necessarily of their persuasion, are certainly more inclusive in regards to incomers than our southern neighbours - we even put up with Webby, for goodness sake!

Currently flying one of those Scottish Ensigns far out of Scots waters. I never flew anything - and have never had any trouble from foreign authorities - but the crew wanted a flag so that's what is adorning our stern.
    Last edited by dgadee; 26-10-18 at 18:25.

Quote Originally Posted by dgadee View Post
    but the crew wanted a flag so that's what is adorning our stern.
    Precisely, it's just a flag, not an ensign.

However international law requires you to wear your national ensign of registry when in foreign waters so your lack of trouble to date is by no means guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bumbulum View Post
    Precisely, it's just a flag, not an ensign.

However international law requires you to wear your national ensign of registry when in foreign waters so your lack of trouble to date is by no means guaranteed.
    Ha. I'm sure authorities have more important things to do (fill in paperwork, for example). One Portuguese coastguard asked what flag it was, then told me about his wonderful holiday in Scotland.

My experience is boat registration and passports get you by. I would have added insurance document but a friend told me he doesn't have any (I know ...) and just gives an old cover note. He says no-one reads them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dgadee View Post
    Ha. I'm sure authorities have more important things to do (fill in paperwork, for example). One Portuguese coastguard asked what flag it was, then told me about his wonderful holiday in Scotland.

My experience is boat registration and passports get you by. I would have added insurance document but a friend told me he doesn't have any (I know ...) and just gives an old cover note. He says no-one reads them anyway.
    I think in Europe you will get away with non conforming with the correct flag , but as you enter the Caribbean and beyond ,and some South American countries , they are quite striked on the rules. As in some small nations you are still treated as a commercial ship entering their waters, with the usual customs , captain only leaving the vessel and such
    auribus teneo lupum

Quote Originally Posted by moomba View Post
    I think in Europe you will get away with non conforming with the correct flag , but as you enter the Caribbean and beyond ,and some South American countries , they are quite striked on the rules. As in some small nations you are still treated as a commercial ship entering their waters, with the usual customs , captain only leaving the vessel and such
    Not got there yet, but my natural scepticism wonders if these South American or Caribbean countries would know that it's not ("yet", according to the crew) a national ensign. I'll keep flying it and this forum will be first to hear if I am imprisoned. I will also ask you to be generous on the crowdfunding page I'll set up to get me out of jail.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast