Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 59

Thread: Ensign question

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    496

    Default Re: Ensign question

    Quote Originally Posted by dgadee View Post
    Not got there yet, but my natural scepticism wonders if these South American or Caribbean countries would know that it's not ("yet", according to the crew) a national ensign. I'll keep flying it and this forum will be first to hear if I am imprisoned. I will also ask you to be generous on the crowdfunding page I'll set up to get me out of jail.
    I will donate but I think that the USA are quite strict on it as is Australia and NZ
    auribus teneo lupum

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    496

    Default Re: Ensign question

    From the RYA
    the Ensign shows the country of registry of the vessel and indicates its nationality. A UK flagged vessel must wear her ensign as required by the Merchant Shipping Act, which includes when entering or leaving a foreign port and on demand. It is recommended that the ensign is worn at all times in daylight, especially when near to or in sight of land or another vessel.
    auribus teneo lupum

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    496

    Default Re: Ensign question

    Hope you all do this when you see a Royal Navy Warship pass you by
    Nautical etiquette requires that merchant vessels dip their ensigns in salute to passing warships, which acknowledge the salute by dipping their ensigns in return.
    auribus teneo lupum

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,264

    Default Re: Ensign question

    Quote Originally Posted by moomba View Post
    From the RYA
    the Ensign shows the country of registry of the vessel and indicates its nationality. A UK flagged vessel must wear her ensign as required by the Merchant Shipping Act, which includes when entering or leaving a foreign port and on demand. It is recommended that the ensign is worn at all times in daylight, especially when near to or in sight of land or another vessel.
    What happens if you don't?

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    496

    Default Re: Ensign question

    Quote Originally Posted by dgadee View Post
    What happens if you don't?
    Interesting Question , one of those ancient rules form way back that has not be changed , I do know that certain countries fine you if you have no courtesy flag up when entering port. I suppose if a British warship was to intercept a yacht smuggling drugs out in the open sea and the boat was registered to the UK and was not flying its Ensign they could probably charge then for that too.
    auribus teneo lupum

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,264

    Default Re: Ensign question

    Quote Originally Posted by moomba View Post
    Interesting Question , one of those ancient rules form way back that has not be changed , I do know that certain countries fine you if you have no courtesy flag up when entering port. I suppose if a British warship was to intercept a yacht smuggling drugs out in the open sea and the boat was registered to the UK and was not flying its Ensign they could probably charge then for that too.
    Which would have the most punitive sentence? Drugs or not flying an ensign?

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    496

    Default Re: Ensign question

    Quote Originally Posted by dgadee View Post
    Which would have the most punitive sentence? Drugs or not flying an ensign?
    Ah you are forgetting how they captured AL Capone , not on his dastardly evil empire of Death , but on Tax evasion.
    So you observe the yacht throwing overboard its drugs that sink to the sea , no evidence no crime , but you can get them on other mister meaner like were is your Ensign
    Sailing in US waters the US coastguard can board you at any time with M16s on their shoulder and fine you for not having flares in places , not enough life jackets ,incorrect register, etc
    auribus teneo lupum

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SW Scotland
    Posts
    17,886

    Default Re: Ensign question

    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat47 View Post
    I'd like to see some evidence of that. I've never seen an old version of this flag in any museum and I lived in Scotland for over 20 years. Plenty of Red, White and Blue UK ensigns in maritime museums though.
    You probably didn't see one because the Scottish Merchant flag fell out of use in 1707, around 150 years before any red, white or blue UK ensign you will have seen was made. Its use is well documented in, for example, paintings.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SW Scotland
    Posts
    17,886

    Default Re: Ensign question

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Bumbulum View Post
    Why not a Sainsbury or Morrison's flag?
    It's just as relevant to boating and has as much to do with an "ensign" as the diagram you posted.
    Indeed, why not just use a dirty pillowcase if that's all the respect you have for your country?
    You don't know much about the history of the Scottish Merchant Flag, do you?
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,277

    Default Re: Ensign question

    Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    You don't know much about the history of the Scottish Merchant Flag, do you?
    I doubt many people do it is somewhat, shall we say, niche. Given the shambles that was the Scots state was in those days (sort of like a colder version of late C20 Zimbabwe but with more tribal violence) not something many sane people would want to be associated with (IMO of course).
    Last edited by Elecglitch; 27-10-18 at 19:18.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to