Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ensign question

Default Re: Ensign question

I feel I owe Pikor, the OP, an apology. It was his first post on this forum with a perfectly sensible question and I, for one, diverted the thread into the well worn groove of the superiority of all things Scottish cf the nàbaidhean deas. If Pikor was to tell us to which foreign state he/she owes allegiance we could head off in another direction entirely.
    Perhaps this ensign would be appropriate :-
    euro ensign.png

Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    I doubt many people do it is somewhat, shall we say, niche. Given the shambles that was the Scots state was in those days (sort of like a colder version of late C20 Zimbabwe but with more tribal violence) not something many sane people would want to be associated with (IMO of course).
    It's true that for much of our independent history, the job description of the Scottish king was more or less "wait to be murdered by your cousin, brother or son" but we weren't that much worse than England and by the seventeenth century things had settled down a lot. Nevertheless, it's just silly to spout off criticism of a flag when you (not "you") don't know anything about it.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    Perhaps this ensign would be appropriate :-
    euro ensign.png
    A friend of mine in the Royal Ulster YC regularly flies a red ensign with a tricolour in the union flag's place. Guaranteed to offend everyone.

But thanks - you have reminded me to get a nice big EU flag to fly in the lead up to National Suicide Day.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by moomba View Post
    Hope you all do this when you see a Royal Navy Warship pass you by
    Nautical etiquette requires that merchant vessels dip their ensigns in salute to passing warships, which acknowledge the salute by dipping their ensigns in return.
    Now't to do with waships I'm afraid.
    You're saluting the ensign, not the vessel or service which in theorey at least means you should salute a RYS yacht if she is wearing the white! I'm sure there are some RYS members would love that but I doubt it ever happens.
    Personally I'd consider it the height of rudeness not to salute a passing warship, after all, isn't it right to acknowlege the historical sacrifices made in order to guarantee our safe passage on the world's oceans?
    And before anyone slags me off for silly old-fashioned affectations consider whether you're wearing a poppy just now... it's much the same ethos.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bumbulum View Post
    And before anyone slags me off for silly old-fashioned affectations consider whether you're wearing a poppy just now... it's much the same ethos.
    Good point. I must nip into town and get my white one. Thanks for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bumbulum View Post
    Now't to do with waships I'm afraid.
    You're saluting the ensign, not the vessel or service which in theorey at least means you should salute a RYS yacht if she is wearing the white! I'm sure there are some RYS members would love that but I doubt it ever happens.
    Personally I'd consider it the height of rudeness not to salute a passing warship, after all, isn't it right to acknowlege the historical sacrifices made in order to guarantee our safe passage on the world's oceans?
    Can I ask out of curiosity have you dipped you flag and been acknowledged , as this would indeed be a lovely tradition , my Father was in the RN for 20 years and I was born on a Navel base in Singapore , so have some affection for those that sail the high seas protecting our rights
    auribus teneo lupum

Can I ask out of curiosity have you dipped you flag and been acknowledged , as this would indeed be a lovely tradition , my Father was in the RN for 20 years and I was born on a Navel base in Singapore , so have some affection for those that sail the high seas protecting our rights
    Didnt know that Singapore had one?
    https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/navel

Quote Originally Posted by skipper_stu View Post
    Didnt know that Singapore had one?
    https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/navel
    As you were an avid reader on the stud land Bay thread you would have seen my post that I have a serious neurological condition that affects all parts of my brain synapse this stops me, for some reason from writing coherently and no matter how much I proof read I cant see the mistakes , spell check some times by passes this and it is frustrating for me , but for you to comment on it again after been informed before, makes it rather sad , may you find peace eventually,

But I still would like to kow the answer to the question
    auribus teneo lupum

Can I ask out of curiosity have you dipped you flag and been acknowledged , as this would indeed be a lovely tradition
    Yes, many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Pump-Out View Post
    Yes, many times.
    Cool ty for the answer
    auribus teneo lupum

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast