Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ensign question

Default Re: Ensign question

Quote Originally Posted by dgadee View Post
    What happens if you don't?
    Back in the 80's I dipped to a Nato flotilla leaving Portsmouth. The American, British, Dutch and Italian frigates all rushed to acknowledge the salute but the last ship in the line was French. The Yeoman left the bridge, walked little way towards the companionway and as soon as he was out of sight of his own bridge officers, flicked the Bee sign to me and lit a fag. Says it all really.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

Quote Originally Posted by skipper_stu View Post
    Didnt know that Singapore had one?
    Poor old Singapore had a pretty rough time at the start of WW2, kept under military subjugation by an occupying force interested only in its strategic possibilities and treating the local population with violence and contempt. Then the Japanese invaded.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat47 View Post
    Back in the 80's I dipped to a Nato flotilla leaving Portsmouth. The American, British, Dutch and Italian frigates all rushed to acknowledge the salute but the last ship in the line was French. The Yeoman left the bridge, walked little way towards the companionway and as soon as he was out of sight of his own bridge officers, flicked the Bee sign to me and lit a fag. Says it all really.
    A brilliant example of French style. I deeply admire that man.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Poor old Singapore had a pretty rough time at the start of WW2, kept under military subjugation by an occupying force interested only in its strategic possibilities and treating the local population with violence and contempt. Then the Japanese invaded.
    Sounds like ,Accession Island, Falklands , Diego Garcia
    ah those that look at the past empire and still hold the grudge it was all our fault , I think we need to stop apologising , move one and reflect and be glad this generation will not make the same mistakes
    Remember than many a brave commonwealth man and women and British , either died or were captured by the Japanese and held in some horrible conditions , at least show them some respect.
    War is controlled by the politicians , we are told to follow.
    auribus teneo lupum

Bricks & mortar: Italy. Me & boat: Aegean

All epigrams are false

Quote Originally Posted by moomba View Post
    Sounds like ,Accession Island, Falklands , Diego Garcia
    ah those that look at the past empire and still hold the grudge it was all our fault , I think we need to stop apologising , move one and reflect and be glad this generation will not make the same mistakes
    Remember than many a brave commonwealth man and women and British , either died or were captured by the Japanese and held in some horrible conditions , at least show them some respect.
    War is controlled by the politicians , we are told to follow.
    At least there were no locals in Ascension Island or the Falklands, and although the Diego Garcians were settlers our treatment of them has been contemptible. That said, it is not for us to decide when enough apology has been expressed for our dreadful past; we are in no better a moral position t tell Africans to shut up about the Empire than Germany would be to tell Jews to shut up about Auschwitz.

At least there were no locals in Ascension Island or the Falklands, and although the Diego Garcians were settlers our treatment of them has been contemptible. That said, it is not for us to decide when enough apology has been expressed for our dreadful past; we are in no better a moral position t tell Africans to shut up about the Empire than Germany would be to tell Jews to shut up about Auschwitz.
    Then what about the Romans or the Vikings who did a few eye raising debaucheries in this country, I do believe the Romans held their empire in a vice like grip of fear and torture, were does the history stop 100 years 1000 years , were is the line drawn were we no longer need to apologies, and move on and hope we never become that again , when is it time to grieve in peace.
    Do we give the Japanse grief or the Germans for their war atrocities , no we as British forgive and move on hoping that we never see the horrors again , but when the British look at their own past there are some that still cant forgive and move one and need to keep Self-flagellation and tearing statutes down of the past , move on people and be thankful it will never hopefully happen again
    auribus teneo lupum

Quote Originally Posted by moomba View Post
    Do we give the Japanse grief or the Germans for their war atrocities ,
    Yes

no we as British forgive and move on hoping that we never see the horrors again , but when the British look at their own past there are some that still cant forgive and move one and need to keep Self-flagellation and tearing statutes down of the past , move on people and be thankful it will never hopefully happen again
    The BIG difference is that the Germans have admitted what they did and recognized that it was morally indefensible. Britain has not come to terms with or even admitted the crimes of imperialism, even though they lasted into the sixties on a grand scale, to say nothing of more recent behaviour in Afghanistan and Iraq which while not driven by the need to maintain an empire, derives from the same basic assumption that Britain has the right to kick lesser races around whenever she finds it expedient to do so.

Yes

The BIG difference is that the Germans have admitted what they did and recognized that it was morally indefensible. Britain has not come to terms with or even admitted the crimes of imperialism, even though they lasted into the sixties on a grand scale, to say nothing of more recent behaviour in Afghanistan and Iraq which while not driven by the need to maintain an empire, derives from the same basic assumption that Britain has the right to kick lesser races around whenever she finds it expedient to do so.
    I think you will find that Britain entered these wars under NATO s flag and as a member of Nato we were obliged to help and per the NATO agreement.
    As for Iraq this was under the guise of weapons of mass destruction lead from Blair and Bush and their dossier of lies, the Army only follow to the politicians tune. Therefore as a Democratic society we can vote that government out or put pressure on then to stop.
    and no we do not Give Japan and Germany Grief anymore because we move on and look to the future for hope and salvation.
    Remember that Fascism and imperialism was defeated by those who fought to defend that freedom.
    auribus teneo lupum

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast