Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Default Any advice for cruising Ibiza in a 10.5m boat?

We'd like to spend a week cruising Ibiza next summer so I'd be interested to know if anyone has got any experience of cruising Ibiza in a 10.5m boat? We'll be arriving from the west / mainland.

People have told me that it's impossible to get a berth for a day or two in a marina but I suspect the dynamics of this are quite different for a smaller boat. Due to a lack of a Genset, we'd would only do a maximum of one night at anchor at a time (even that would require some decent shelter).

What would be a good time to go (early summer / late summer I imagine). What would be a good itinerary?

Default Re: Any advice for cruising Ibiza in a 10.5m boat?

PortsIB pete - you can book online a long way out and it’s very cheap.
    I would book berths with them as a back stop and if you get into a bigger/more desirable marina just burn that night.
    I guess for your boat the rates will be €30 a night.

Maximum number of nights you can do in any one place is 6, and aftervyour last night of any length stay you can’t comeback for another 6 nights

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Due to a lack of a Genset, we'd would only do a maximum of one night at anchor at a time (even that would require some decent shelter).
    Why Pete? We dont have a genset and even with a family of 2 adults and 2 pre teen kids can manage 5 days comfortably and 15 days conservatively (which we do once a year for the kids school holidays) on our set up of 360Ah battery bank. A half hour jaunt each day keeps us in hot water and is enough to stave off complete battery depletion. A boat that can only last 1 night has some serious deficiencies and I am sure yours doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    Why Pete? We dont have a genset and even with a family of 2 adults and 2 pre teen kids can manage 5 days comfortably and 15 days conservatively (which we do once a year for the kids school holidays) on our set up of 360Ah battery bank. A half hour jaunt each day keeps us in hot water and is enough to stave off complete battery depletion. A boat that can only last 1 night has some serious deficiencies and I am sure yours doesn't.
    Yeah but Bruce, I've seen the expression on your lads face .

I'm not sure you will get anywhere in Ibiza during August.
    But, I was surprised that Jez managed to do as well as he did this year with PortsIB in Mallorca.

I couldn't pre-book anything in Ibiza for the summer months.
    We even had to "sit out" a storm on Roig because there was no room in any of the marinas.
    And, as I say, I don't think they take bookings.
    But maybe someone will be able to (hopefully) prove me wrong.

That all said, there are good bays on Ibiza that are protected from the weather.
    As I said above Roig was good refuge from an easterly storm.
    A few weeks ago, it was becoming uncomfortable in Tarida (westerly wind) so Cala Bassa proved comfortable for a couple of nights - we were then worried about that nasty stuff that hit Mallorca so we ran for cover to Denia.

I'm actually thinking May or September Mike. Definitely not peak season.

As for availability of berths, I suspect length is crucial. For example, in Mallorca I couldn't get a winter berth for love nor money however Jrudge seems to have no problems. And when I enquired about a short stay berth in Denia the other week they said no problem for a 10m boat, but a problem for anything larger.

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Yeah but Bruce, I've seen the expression on your lads face .
    That was probably due to the lack of broadband for him to get his Fortnite, or whatever its called, fix. He's rationed to 10Gb a day

He looks far more cheerful when he's online. The malady of todays youth
    33597125_350325608823492_1886939966773133312_n.jpg

@Hurricane the portsIB places have a maximum bookable length of 15m
    In some ports this drops to 12m

Pete, also don’t forget the poseidon bouys - not a marina I know but more secure than anchoring.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelighter View Post
    @Hurricane the portsIB places have a maximum bookable length of 15m
    In some ports this drops to 12m

Pete, also don’t forget the poseidon bouys - not a marina I know but more secure than anchoring.
    Yes buoys in Espalmador and (more importantly for Pete) in San Antonio.
    It doesn't help with his electric problem - maybe run your engine more often to charge the batteries and warm the water.

We took our old sealine s34 to Ibiza from Mallorca for a few days in either July or August about 12/13 years ago, there was no chance of getting a mooring in a marina, so we just anchored in various bays, the island is small so you can always find some shelter. We didn't have a generator,so we just ran the engines to charge the batteries, we didn't run out of battery power.

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast