Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Default Re: Red Diesel - UK Government loses.

I've never had any problems filling 2*20l jerry cans with diesel.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    Who knows what will happen if we "crash out" and we end up with a government that has forgotten how to govern.
    Not knowing is forcing many businesses to set up subsidiaries in mainland Europe -- red carpet treatment in France vs red diesel and a dick-off attitude from the Treasury here.

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    I doubt that very much. The regulations are safety based and should not be changed for the convenience of leisure sailors, or small fishermen?
    Those rules appertain to "spirit" fuel not heavy fuel oils.
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    Those rules appertain to "spirit" fuel not heavy fuel oils.
    AWOl at post #6 stated that. So it is not a problem to transport diesel around. I also don't see it as a problem to convert many small marinas to offer white diesel either. For example, a 5000 litre station with pump only costs around 3500 GBP incl vat https://www.tanksforeverything.co.uk...l-station-55-p

This is not an issue as far as I can tell, just one of willingness. We really need to stop pushing water up hill on this matter.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Bricks & mortar: Italy. Me & boat: Aegean

This is not an issue as far as I can tell, just one of willingness. We really need to stop pushing water up hill on this matter.
    Spot on, although I'd take slight issue with your spelling. Perhaps it should be wi££ingness? Much the same applies to low-FAME diesel.
    All epigrams are false

AWOl at post #6 stated that. So it is not a problem to transport diesel around. I also don't see it as a problem to convert many small marinas to offer white diesel either. For example, a 5000 litre station with pump only costs around 3500 GBP incl vat https://www.tanksforeverything.co.uk...l-station-55-p

Please forgive me for not reading every reply
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    Not thinking of the financial aspect - we will still be bound by the Fuel Directive - in other words our government will have no choice but to abide by the court ruling.
    Have we agreed to be bound to the EU Directive when we have left the EU? Bit surprised about that and if we have then that's the end of red. However, I thought the point was to leave the EU and leave the mountain of Directives. If we leave the EU and the Directive then we can use red subject to our own Excise rules post Brexit. Once we have left the EU and the UK rules allow us, they cannot stop us using red. There is the issue of course that member states might suspect a UK yacht with red had illegally purchased red in the EU and if the UK yacht had done that, clearly it would be wrong. If you showed you had purchased all the red in the UK that ought to be ok but....
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Bricks & mortar: Italy. Me & boat: Aegean

Quote Originally Posted by tillergirl View Post
    Have we agreed to be bound to the EU Directive when we have left the EU?
    Isn't it the point that after Brexit this all becomes UK law (Great Repeal Bill, and all that). Whatever de-Brusselation subsequently takes place will depend on each issue's place in the pecking order.
    (I'd expect duty-free red for leisure boats to hatch quite bereft of a beak.)
    All epigrams are false

Although we have discussed this issue quite often, I am surprised that no mention of the Channel Islands has been made? As far as I know, you can only get red diesel in St Peter Port. And, of course, the Channel Islands are not part of the EU nor the United Kingdom. So red it will be, and perhaps fines for those who go to France, Belgium, Holland and so on? So boat owners in Guernsey will still risk fines, as they do now I suppose? BTW, my own boat is registered in Guernsey although based in Cornwall.

Quote Originally Posted by tillergirl View Post
    There is the issue of course that member states might suspect a UK yacht with red had illegally purchased red in the EU and if the UK yacht had done that, clearly it would be wrong. If you showed you had purchased all the red in the UK that ought to be ok but....
    That would be fine if the law was that the duty must be paid, however the law is that it is illegal to have marked fuel in the tanks.

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast