Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Default Re: Red Diesel - UK Government loses.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven Spades View Post
    Really my boat holds 1300l of fuel and best practice is to try to keep it full to minimise consendation. Please explain how easy that will be.
    The 'keep it full' folklore is basically nonsense.
    If you believe significant water is going to enter via the breather, you could fit a better breather system or even better tanks which don't need the fuel open to the air.
    You can buy dessicant breather filters for hydraulic systems. You might want an additional one-way breather to let air out when filling.
    Doing something more sophisticated might well pay for itself by not dragging a surplus ton of fuel around.

This has only ever been going to go one way. I can't see there will be a lot of public sympathy. There isn't even a lot of sympathy from owners of smaller sailing boats or petrol powered boats as far as I can see.

I have a sailing boat with diesel heating, the amount I use for propulsion is less than what I use for heating (during my latest 1 week on the water I haven't even moved the boat, but used the heating extensively). AFAIK heating is a full legitimate use of red diesel, am I wrong?

What about the other weeks? You can have that discussion with the nice people who collect the taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by GTom View Post
    I have a sailing boat with diesel heating, the amount I use for propulsion is less than what I use for heating (during my latest 1 week on the water I haven't even moved the boat, but used the heating extensively). AFAIK heating is a full legitimate use of red diesel, am I wrong?
    It is entirely your choice the proportion of fuel you declare as propulsion. It is possible the C&E (or whatever they're called this week) may ask you to justify your choice but unlikely.
    Unfortunately, some diesel vendors are too lazy or ignorant to cope with anything other than 60/40

Quote Originally Posted by GTom View Post
    You are right. All you need to have is a tank for your heating system, which can be full to the brim with red, and another for the engine which will hold white.

If you look on the HMRC website, they accept houseboats which are 99% heating/generator as valid users of red.

Many years ago a friend of a friend worked for Customs and Excise. We were out one Saturday afternoon when he spotted something rather odd with a vehicle, a rather nice Rolls Royce, and promptly ceased it! The owner was none to pleased as the flat bed lorry turned up and loaded the car up. I quizzed him about it afterwards and he commented that with three hundred years of history they have a lot of power. The ensuing High Court case was fascinating.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    What about the other weeks? You can have that discussion with the nice people who collect the taxes.
    Depends very much, but leaving the marina and motoring for another 3 minutes until I hoist the sails won't add too much.

Quote Originally Posted by westhinder View Post
    You are right. All you need to have is a tank for your heating system, which can be full to the brim with red, and another for the engine which will hold white.
    I think I'll do that, I have 2 tanks anyway. BTW, what about generator/alternator use, aka when the engine is not used for propulsion?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Many years ago a friend of a friend worked for Customs and Excise. We were out one Saturday afternoon when he spotted something rather odd with a vehicle, a rather nice Rolls Royce, and promptly ceased it! The owner was none to pleased as the flat bed lorry turned up and loaded the car up. I quizzed him about it afterwards and he commented that with three hundred years of history they have a lot of power. The ensuing High Court case was fascinating.
    And what was he noticed that was odd?
    The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    You just don't get it, do you? It's sweet F.A. to do with taxing leisure boat owners, they are just collateral to the principle that marked fuel can only be used in certain defined areas and leisure boating ain't one. The EU don't care how much tax you pay on it, it is the simple fact of marked diesel in your tanks that is illegal.
    You are right, I don't get it. The Uk government was happy to allow leisure boat owners to use marked fuel. Then the EU instructed the UK government to end the practice. If it were not the case, we would not be having the discussion about red fuel.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast