Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast

Default Re: Red Diesel - UK Government loses.

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    The current legal deal is that you are liable for tax on the fuel that you use for propulsion. Any other use, like lighting, pumping, heating, battery charging etc, is not liable for the tax. It is YOU who decides what proportion of your fuel is used for propulsion. You tell the fuel vendor how much tax to apply.

HMCR have let it be known that they will not quibble about anyone claiming 60/40. ie 60% propulsion, and 40% other use, and so that has become the norm. If you can justify using more for heating etc than for propulsion, it is up to you to claim for that, and if questioned, to be able to show justification.
    That has been the case until now. But the EU ruling says otherwise, no red dye in the engine tank at all, if I understood correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by GTom View Post
    That has been the case until now. But the EU ruling says otherwise, no red dye in the engine tank at all, if I understood correctly.
    We don't know when, if ever, the EU ruling will be implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    We don't know when, if ever, the EU ruling will be implemented.
    You are right, replace "now" with "20xx". The UK might be O.K. for quite a few years to come, question is if other countries change their policies on visiting red ensign boats.

Quote Originally Posted by GTom View Post
    question is if other countries change their policies on visiting red ensign boats.
    Would flying a blue or white ensign make a difference, do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    You are right, I don't get it. The Uk government was happy to allow leisure boat owners to use marked fuel. Then the EU instructed the UK government to end the practice. If it were not the case, we would not be having the discussion about red fuel.
    The EU measure will have been voted on by all member states including ours, we had X number of years granted to us to assist in the changeover as we have the longest coastline of a member state in the EU with some fueling points in small remote locations. Our government has had years to sort this out, it has chosen to park its head up its chuff, hence the court case

Quote Originally Posted by PhillM View Post
    Would flying a blue or white ensign make a difference, do you think?
    Those would be difficult to legally fly on a private pleasure craft...

https://www.ybw.com/news-from-yachti...-belgium-55746

I have the ideal solution. Marinas should sell white diesel at the same duty rate as red diesel, only for use in boats of course.
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

Quote Originally Posted by savageseadog View Post
    I have the ideal solution. Marinas should sell white diesel at the same duty rate as red diesel, only for use in boats of course.
    :-)

Quote Originally Posted by savageseadog View Post
    Now just to convince the marinas and harbours.....

Quote Originally Posted by chrishscorp View Post
    Now just to convince the marinas and harbours.....
    I think you would also have to work on HMRC and the EU Commission first. The current dispute is about the misselling of marked fuel - but selling unmarked fuel at zero duty would also be breaking rules. I think that the only solution that would be acceptable to the tax men and did not require two different supplies of fuel at the pumps would be to sell unmarked fuel at full duty to all takers and then process refunds for those that are eligible for reduced or zero duty. But I can't see HMRC being very enthusiastic about that - it would imply extra work for them.

Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast