Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Floating Bridge out again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Has the old one been cut up yet?
    Canít recall it being in Pímouth where it was moored recently but cld be wrong.

What were you thinking, cut the new one up instead?

[QUOTE=dancrane;6600435]I wonder what it would cost, to build an exact replica of the old floating bridge? Whatever its shortcomings, it usually operated.

Maybe this present incarnation which appears not to have been carefully measured or specified for use at Cowes, could be sold to another river/harbour mouth location, to recoup some capital to make a dent in the cost of a replica of the old one?[/quote}

It was specifically designed for the crossing between Cowes and East Cowes. see my earlier link.

Or has the flow in the Medina changed since the breakwater was built, such that the old bridge wouldn't be effective either?
    FB5 was operating apparently without difficulty, for a period after the new breakwater was completed

Hopeless though the new bridge seems to have been, its failure can't haven't profited anybody much. Is it likely that any of us could have diagnosed the errors in the design, ahead of testing in situ?

There are two interesting articles in the local news. The first shows how the total cost is now at £6.4M, about double the original estimate.

https://onthewight.com/floating-brid...aggering-6-4m/

The second article is suggesting that there are now proposals to scrap it, or sell it. The article mentions that it could be used to replace the Windermere Ferry, although I cannot think how they would get it there. It came to Cowes by sea, it's surely too big for overland transport.

https://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/17210835...nt-successful/

It still requires a tug to push it laterally during the ebb on spring tides, to ensure it keeps on the rhumb line between the two slipways. It is also very frequently out of service, which requires a replacement passenger ferry. Both of which the council pay for. It will never be profitable, unlike the previous ferry which returned a healthy annual profit of around £150,000.

Shirley the time has come for the burghers of the Island to call for a public enquiry. Incompetence of management oozes from every pore of the project. Oh, and a judicial review of the reasons why the Council will not release cost details and committee minutes.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Agreed, it's time for either honesty or inquiry:

"Publicity is justly commended as a remedy for social and industrial diseases. Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants; electric light the most efficient policeman."
    US Supreme Court Justice Louis D Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Has the old one been cut up yet?
    FB5 was still tied up in Portsmouth Hbr 2 weeks ago, quietly hoping to be pressed back into service no doubt.... I seem to recollect there was another barge along side it.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewL View Post

The second article is suggesting that there are now proposals to scrap it, or sell it. The article mentions that it could be used to replace the Windermere Ferry, although I cannot think how they would get it there. It came to Cowes by sea, it's surely too big for overland transport.

https://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/17210835...nt-successful/
    Chop it into 4 bits and send it up on a lorry with a couple of packs of welding rods

Quote Originally Posted by chrishscorp View Post
    FB5 was still tied up in Portsmouth Hbr 2 weeks ago, quietly hoping to be pressed back into service no doubt.... I seem to recollect there was another barge along side it.
    I think it was VicS who said that the chain layout has been changed for FB6, but it surely would not be impossible to revert to the old system.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by sarabande View Post
    Shirley the time has come for the burghers of the Island to call for a public enquiry. Incompetence of management oozes from every pore of the project. Oh, and a judicial review of the reasons why the Council will not release cost details and committee minutes.
    Careful what you wish for! The review into the Edinburgh tram fiasco has hit £7M, is still rising and is likely to keep lawyers in employment on the matters arising for decades to come.

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    Careful what you wish for! The review into the Edinburgh tram fiasco has hit £7M, is still rising and is likely to keep lawyers in employment on the matters arising for decades to come.
    On the bright side, the Edinburgh Tram project will keep business schools in case studies for decades.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast