Default Anchor chain pipe solutions wanted

Currently my foredeck has a Lofrans Royal windlass and the anchor is stowed on deck, in chocks. The boat is a Fife designed sloop 33’ LOA. It’s become more and more the case that we don’t really ‘cruise’ very much. The boat is lovely to sail and we’ve been doing a few classic regattas, but she is a sporty, flighty, wet little thing with a narrow foredeck and I’ve decided to clear it to make things easier up there when we are doing spinnaker etc. and enjoy her for what she is. We rarely anchor, in truth.

So this winter the anchor chocks will go, as will the windlass. I will stow two anchors below, a lunch hook/ kedge and a main anchor. But I’m a bit perplexed as to how to achieve an elegant, low profile and reasonably waterproof exit for the chain. I don’t really want a ‘spurling pipe’ type of arrangement, because that will neatly catch sheets.

https://shop.classicmarine.co.uk/cha...-1-12-i-d.html
    I have thought about a plain deck filler type of arrangement eg
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Perko-5289/1651244443

This is nice and low profile and I can trim the spigot inside to ease the run of the chain. Bear in mind that we don’t anchor very often, so I’m not looking for anchoring nirvana. I want to stop tripping over things, and snagging the sheets.

My anchor chain is 8mm so I need an internal diameter of about 50mm I think.
    Looking for bright ideas, really....

Graham

Default Re: Anchor chain pipe solutions wanted

Sorry to disagree with your plans but I think you should always have an anchor ready to deploy quickly for those occasions when the engine fails, the wind dies, you misjudge things etc. It can save expensive damage to your boat and others.

Plain deck filler type - sure you can get one much cheaper than that at least in stainless. they usually have a small ring on the underside of the cap for a retaining wire which you can use for a line to the chain. You might also consider changing to 6mm chain and rope rode to reduce weight and space requirements. Will be perfectly adequate for the type of anchoring you describe.

Why not go to a drum with wire?

Quote Originally Posted by Poignard View Post
    Sorry to disagree with your plans but I think you should always have an anchor ready to deploy quickly for those occasions when the engine fails, the wind dies, you misjudge things etc. It can save expensive damage to your boat and others.
    I agree with that but if it's for occasional use it can sit in a cockpit locker and deployed from the stern quickly - then the line transferred forward if absolutely needed.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    I agree with that but if it's for occasional use it can sit in a cockpit locker and deployed from the stern quickly - then the line transferred forward if absolutely needed.
    That's not a bad idea. If you're anchoring to avoid a collision the quicker you have an anchor, any anchor, on the seabed, the better. A few moments can make a big difference to the repair bill!
    Last edited by Poignard; 29-10-18 at 17:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Wansworth View Post
    Why not go to a drum with wire?
    Thank you, but I’m trying to get gear of all sorts off the foredeck....

Quote Originally Posted by gdallas View Post
    Thank you, but I’m trying to get gear of all sorts off the foredeck....
    The drum would be mounted below deck ......