Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Fouling experience this year

Had a very clean bum this year so far..... although I've actually been using it Although I think sitting on a fast flowing river rather than a locked water basin is doing it better.
    Electrical & heating engineer, Diesel remaps, Custom panels
    Southwold & Ipswich Yards

Terrible this year on the Crouch. Bottom scrubbed in April, there was sufficient fouling by June to block the engine inlet. I had have her hauled out and cleaned again.

Really bad this year. I have a drying mooring in Benfleet Creek, The boats around me came out the same irrespective of what anti foul was used. Strangely the boats that were moored at Leigh came out almost spotless.

Quote Originally Posted by ballyabroad View Post
    Attachment 73961
    The Deben this year. Cruiser Uno. Will be Hemple Ocean next season.
    Whereabouts on the Deben?

We went back to Seajet Shogun this year from the sh1te that was EU45. Much lower mileage, and much less fouling on the hull. Should even only need one coat for next season...

Also a step forward with the Autoprop… This year the Hammerite Special metals primer stuck... Nothing on top did...
    Larry Botheras

Colvic Victor 35 "Gladys"

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

Quote Originally Posted by dolabriform View Post
    Whereabouts on the Deben?
    Looks like Bawdsey in the background so Felixstowe Ferry I guess...
    Substance over style

We have been from the Crouch to the Baltic and back every year for the last 7 years. Each year, with the transitions between salt, fresh and brackish water, when we get back, we have been pretty clean. However, this year, when in the Netherlands, the fouling with barnacles and mussels was so bad that our raw water intake was almost blocked. A lot of scrubbing and scraping (diving when we were in Ijsselmeer) got us home at the beginning of September, and since then the water intake has been ok. However, we are still in the water, so I don't know how much growth there is on the hull. We thought that it was probably the very warm water temperature encouraging the mussels etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali-alshira View Post
    We have been from the Crouch to the Baltic and back every year for the last 7 years. .
    That is interesting. I have been doing Bradwell to channel islands for the last few years plus a few trips into the southern Dutch canals & would like a change. What sort of routes have you been doing that would suit a single hander from the east coast.
    Sorry for the thread drift.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Our route is usually from either Walton backwaters or Lowestoft to Ijmuiden (18 or 24 hours), then the rest can be done in daysails. Sometimes we go through IJsselmeer, Harlingen, various Dutch frisian islands, or via Den Helder, or can use the Standing mast route to Delfzijl. We have shallow draft, so can go behind frisian islands to Norderney or one of the others, and then a long hop to Cuxhaven. If you have deeper draft, then you have to sail outside the islands. Through the Kiel canal, and then you can wander north into Denmark, or east into Germany - lots of places to go!

I'll send a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali-alshira View Post
    Our route is usually from either Walton backwaters or Lowestoft to Ijmuiden (18 or 24 hours), then the rest can be done in daysails. Sometimes we go through IJsselmeer, Harlingen, various Dutch frisian islands, or via Den Helder, or can use the Standing mast route to Delfzijl. We have shallow draft, so can go behind frisian islands to Norderney or one of the others, and then a long hop to Cuxhaven. If you have deeper draft, then you have to sail outside the islands. Through the Kiel canal, and then you can wander north into Denmark, or east into Germany - lots of places to go!

I'll send a pm.
    We followed a boat with 1.8m draft from Delfzijl to Norderney once, and there was a large yacht with unknown draft astern, so it is possible without shoal draft, but a bit tight on time going W-E, easy the other way.

We met a chap solo with an Elizabethan 23 in Stralsund a few years ago - I think he wrote articles about it - so it is eminently doable, in fact, once you are there you can do a lot with day-sails <50 miles and often much less.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast