Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Chart Corrections?

I tried to once many years ago but gave up as the main buoys and land don't seem to move. My chart plotter was up to date at he beginning of the year and I might well update next year following comments on these forums about mussel beds and all the ropes involved. I do get an almanac each year but that is in some way out of date when purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgeir View Post
    I am genuinely impressed by the diligence of folk in here.

I deserve to be shot down in flames for admitting this, but I'm a lazy git and, with well over two hundred paper charts, it just seems like an almost insurmountable burden for very little return. I also buy uncorrected second hand charts from time to time....

On the other hand we always have a current almanac to check for lights etc and I keep the chartplotter (Navionics) and the tablet Memory-Map plotter up to date.
    I take a similar view. I know my charts may not be strictly accurate and allow for that.

I keep my charts updated a few times a year, easy really as it's comprises one portfolio (east coast), PBO Almanac but only for my cruising areas and of course ECP and CTTE - easy from the web sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgeir View Post
    I am genuinely impressed by the diligence of folk in here.

I deserve to be shot down in flames for admitting this, but I'm a lazy git and, with well over two hundred paper charts, it just seems like an almost insurmountable burden for very little return. I also buy uncorrected second hand charts from time to time....

On the other hand we always have a current almanac to check for lights etc and I keep the chartplotter (Navionics) and the tablet Memory-Map plotter up to date.
    You and me both then, I've never corrected any chart!

Quote Originally Posted by steve yates View Post
    You and me both then, I've never corrected any chart!
    I suppose the green lumpy bits dont move very often.

I find they have moved very few rocks and islands over the years. A few cardinal buoys have changed to lateral and vice versa but they tend not to have changed position or so little that my shallow draft boats don't really need to worry which side we pass on. I updated for 2nd Severn bridge and Cardiff Barrage and its approaches and will correct if I spot obvious anomalies, or note new dredging surveys. I guess further from the well regulated British, Irish and French shores it might be more of an issue.

My charts are more for planning and backup 1hourly marking of position. Eyeball or chart plotter is the normal nav aid
    A boat is for going places

I do not correct any charts because I am sure that Belgium & France do not move much.

However, I do look for Tillergirl's posts on the east coats forum & make a mental note of anything I really need to know. ie.Dredging in Wells etc (not that I ever go there!!!) Just makes me wonder, after all these years, why they cannot just dredge the b..y channel in a straight line !!!

As for depths etc I just make sure that the echo sounder is turned on.

The buoys are never where I expect them, even if I do have them in the right place on the chart
    Personally, I blame Trinity house for getting them in the wrong place.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

An old boy that I used to know used to say that when he sailed the south coast that providing the charts weren’t too out of date ie marked in fathoms he was quite happy, but when he sails the east coast if they had not been corrected twice that month he wouldn’t trust them. I guess he was joking, but There is an element on truth about this.
    Calico Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    I do not correct any charts because I am sure that Belgium & France do not move much.

However, I do look for Tillergirl's posts on the east coats forum & make a mental note of anything I really need to know. ie.Dredging in Wells etc (not that I ever go there!!!) Just makes me wonder, after all these years, why they cannot just dredge the b..y channel in a straight line !!!

As for depths etc I just make sure that the echo sounder is turned on.

The buoys are never where I expect them, even if I do have them in the right place on the chart
    Personally, I blame Trinity house for getting them in the wrong place.
    The buoys are usually only in the correct position at HW, biggest error being at LW, so hope you correct for height of tide.

Quote Originally Posted by alant View Post
    The buoys are usually only in the correct position at HW, biggest error being at LW, so hope you correct for height of tide.
    Yes of course. I usually do that with my keel
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast