Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Insurance for the Med up 13%

I just received my renewal quote. The premium for the Med cruising range west of 35 degrees east has gone up 13% "due to the increased rating provided by your insurers for your current cruising range". This is the RYA members scheme insurance arranged through Bishop Skinner. Have other insurers put up premiums as much? At least my insurer renews without me paying for a survey.
    Last edited by Norman_E; 31-10-18 at 09:30.
    Working on immortality - One day at a time.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Default Re: Insurance for the Med up 13%

Quote Originally Posted by Norman_E View Post
    I just received my renewal quote. The premium for the Med cruising range west of 35 degrees east has gone up 13% "due to the increased rating provided by your insurers for your current cruising range". This is the RYA members scheme insurance arranged through Bishop Skinner. Have other insurers put up premiums as much? At least my insurer renews without me paying for a survey.
    My Amlin quote has gone up slightly but not as much as 13%.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Thank you Vyv, I will look at Amlin. So far the cheapest quote I have found is GJW Direct, Pantaenius want a survey so that would put the cost way up.

Anyone had a claim with GJW? Its always good to know how insurers deal with claims. A few years back there was a lot on here about an "insurer" who took premiums but refused all claims, based offshore if I remember right.
    Working on immortality - One day at a time.

Thank you Vyv, I will look at Amlin. So far the cheapest quote I have found is GJW Direct, Pantaenius want a survey so that would put the cost way up.

Anyone had a claim with GJW? Its always good to know how insurers deal with claims. A few years back there was a lot on here about an "insurer" who took premiums but refused all claims, based offshore if I remember right.
    I had a yachting accident claim with GJW who were perfect to deal with. Very open about the way it all worked and paid out after due process to both parties.
    Premium has not gone up after the incident - they also paid out on a claim on my racing dinghy a few years ago too.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Y insurance gets very good reports. We would try them but, as you suggest, the cost of a survey would probably ruin the savings.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

As do Y Ins
    give then a try, get an online quote then phone them to discuss options
    Last edited by Old Harry; 31-10-18 at 10:48.

Yes, I have made a claim, 9ish years ago, and they paid out without any issues, this is why I still use them.

I had a claim with GJW this year. Very easy to deal with and paid out in full very promptly when the bill came in. We have been with them for quite a long time and intend to stay with them.
    How come that boat insurance companies are so much better and easier to deal with than cat ins companies?

I also had a claim with GJW and they were faultless to deal with. Unfortunately I had to change insurers this year as we intend to go further and GJW do not cover the Pacific. However I did get a quote from Pantaenius and they wanted a recent survey but I questioned them about this and they immediatly dropped the requirement. So if you have had a quotation from Pantaenius and like the quote but do not want to pay for a survey it is worth talking to them.

Y is an agent of Amlin and if as read on other forums rates with Amlin have gone up Y will follow rather wasting your time taking that route.

Think before looking at increases in premium check that your policy is agreed value .
    Any one with a market value policy could be in for a shock when settlement offer made.
    Then look around ask your broker before purchase type of cover and read a specimen policy.
    I fear many tears will follow the latest storms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast