Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Replacing backlight with LEDs in Raymarine E-Series E120 display

I'm waiting for jfm to jump on this thread with instructions on how to make the leds colour-change

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_the_builder View Post
    I'm waiting for jfm to jump on this thread with instructions on how to make the leds colour-change
    .. and link to a fusion soundsystem, don't forget that

V.

PS. to the OP, welcome to the forum and very well done with the writeup!

Quote Originally Posted by kashurst View Post
    well done finding the PWM output on the circuit. Did you have a diagram or just poked about with a 'scope until you got lucky/intelligent guess?
    Actually the point I chose is just the input to the high voltage transformers, so pretty much the first place I tried. I spent a long time trying to eliminate the glitch in the dimming, but it looked to me like the PWM is generated by the PIC microprocessor, based on a protocol exchange with the main processor. (That is just a guess based on what looks like a flurry of messages going into the PIC when you dial the dimmer knob.)

There is another PWM signal used to dim the keyboard LEDs, and that one does not glitch. I looked at using it to control the LEDs, but it does not have a common ground with the display power source so I would have had to introduce an optical isolator in order to decouple the signal. Also the keyboard LEDs turn off at full brightness, so it would have needed some more electronics to prevent that.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilMay View Post
    Actually the point I chose is just the input to the high voltage transformers, so pretty much the first place I tried. I spent a long time trying to eliminate the glitch in the dimming, but it looked to me like the PWM is generated by the PIC microprocessor, based on a protocol exchange with the main processor. (That is just a guess based on what looks like a flurry of messages going into the PIC when you dial the dimmer knob.)

There is another PWM signal used to dim the keyboard LEDs, and that one does not glitch. I looked at using it to control the LEDs, but it does not have a common ground with the display power source so I would have had to introduce an optical isolator in order to decouple the signal. Also the keyboard LEDs turn off at full brightness, so it would have needed some more electronics to prevent that.
    Gone over my head but a bloody good tutorial. PLEASE stick around and post more invaluable advice, people like you make this forum great.
    Last edited by MrB; 02-11-18 at 19:29.

Hardly rude or ungracious, merely constructive.

The OP had an excellent opportunity to expand on this article and apply it to so many things ranging from backlighting to various marine lighting applications and in my opinion it could have led to the encouragement of other people to produce their own LED items for various parts of their boat which I would wholeheartedly encourage.
    I am old and wise because i was young and stupid.

Many thanks PhilMay for an excellent first post! Welcome to the forum and please just ignore the banter and criticism, there are a few big egos on here, but most of us ordinary mortals really value helpful and informative posts like yours.

Thumbs up Re: Replacing backlight with LEDs in Raymarine E-Series E120 display

Quote Originally Posted by PhilMay View Post
    I could not find a good description of this process, so I have written one to help anyone else who wants to fix their display.

See http://blog.mailasail.com/anastasia/489
    Hi, and thank you for sharing this excellent guide!

It actually encouraged me to purchase an e120 (+radar) with broken backlight. I ordered the parts from Ebay (approx 30 USD), and dove in.
    2 hours later i pressed the power switch and it worked, and I now have a complete nav setup and only had to part with 570 USD

The only "trouble" I had was that I got a LED strip with silicone cover, so i had to remove the silicone on both ends of each strip to expose the connectors. But well worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_the_builder View Post
    no - it's raymarine he'd just test to see if it floats.

Good work!
    I spent ages replacing all the semiconductors around the display backlight power supply, only to find one of the (unavailable!) Transformers had gone. The mfd was robbed for spares instead.
    I did have a partial circuit diagram somewhere. Part of the circuit monitored the display current & could still be useful.

Cheers
    This post is made from 100% recycled electrons.

I read your procedure for replacing e120 backlights.
    Question. Did you ad a heat sink for the mosfet? If so, what did you mount it to?
    Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast