Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Replacing backlight with LEDs in Raymarine E-Series E120 display

Good write-up - similar to another one posted on this forum a number of years ago but yours is dimmable which improves things.

I did this on one E120 and it's really not worth the effort with the end result not matching the original. You have to be VERY careful not to damage the LCD screen and any fingerprints or dust trapped inside the diffuser and screen show up so you have to take it apart again. When another failed I actually bought a replacement for £500 and sold my broken one for parts for near enough the same money.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilMay View Post
    I could not find a good description of this process, so I have written one to help anyone else who wants to fix their display.

See http://blog.mailasail.com/anastasia/489
    Hello,

The LED replacement is done . It works but the LEDs always stay on and cannot be turned off after pressing E 120 OFF button. The voltage (12 V) for the LEDs is taken from the terminals of the HV capacitor. Because there is 12V there the LEDs are illuminated.
    Is there any other location to take 12V where the voltage goes away when the unit is turned off?

Naturally the LED illumination goes off when the main switch is turned off.
    The unit is connected to the network with another E120 and radar etc.
    Thanks,
    Cemil

Having read the " instructions" the Op used a mosfet to do the dimming - have you done this? The line he picked up from the transformer will goto 0 when turned off I assume which will stop the mosfet allowing power to pass

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    Having read the " instructions" the Op used a mosfet to do the dimming - have you done this? The line he picked up from the transformer will goto 0 when turned off I assume which will stop the mosfet allowing power to pass
    I do not think so, I think they placed the leds and connected power to led lens via the capacitor legs. I will ask them exactly what they have done.

Thanks for your reply.

Cemil

The capacitor was simply the line voltage supply.

Most probably they have not utilized a Mosfet at all, or used an inadequate one. The mosfet should be one with a high amperage and with correct type (N).

Would you use the same MOSFET for a 24V application?

I tried using the 12V method but the LEDs would give a single half a second flicker on startup and I would have no backlight.

I have ordered the 24V LEDs and plan to do the set up exactly as the original write up.

I have already done a 12V version and I found it works perfectly. very impressed by the info shared here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123