Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: When guests on board Boost your ego, call Chnl 16 !?

Why not contact Coastwatch on Ch65 . They would probably like a chat to hone their radio skills. Check when they are manned though.

You can also say how much you appreciate their service.
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Brilliant! I have mine plastered on the front of the boat manual, but have never been asked for it
    Laminated sheet on the bulkhead by the radio on our boat with boat name, call sign, and MMSI.

(I have recently added LOA, beam, and draft to remind whoever is talking to the marina.)
    ۞

They should ask for their callsign and then ask them to state the callsign phonetically.

I've always maintained that these radio checks are an indications of insecurity and self importance in different measures.
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

If I wanted a VHF radio check I would call our handheld but not on Ch16. For our SSB the only option is the coastguard and I called once before we went long distance sailing.

Quote Originally Posted by LONG_KEELER View Post
    Why not contact Coastwatch on Ch65 . They would probably like a chat to hone their radio skills. Check when they are manned though.

You can also say how much you appreciate their service.
    Well done Long Keeler, you are the first to mention NCI. CH 65.

I often make a radio check call to Coastwatch - it is reassuring to know that everything is working and I suspect that it makes their day too. Actually I use Coastwatch quite often - will call them up for a recent weather forecast and to ask if there is anything going on in the area that I should knwo about before I cast off. It's easier than sitting waiting for the CG to broadcast an MSI and helps to justify the existence of the NCI.

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    I often make a radio check call to Coastwatch - it is reassuring to know that everything is working and I suspect that it makes their day too. Actually I use Coastwatch quite often - will call them up for a recent weather forecast and to ask if there is anything going on in the area that I should knwo about before I cast off. It's easier than sitting waiting for the CG to broadcast an MSI and helps to justify the existence of the NCI.
    "Make their day" !, "Justify their existence" !! ....feeling a tad superior today per chance?

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    "Make their day" !, "Justify their existence" !! ....feeling a tad superior today per chance?
    Not at all - I am a great fan of the NCI - but they seem to be seriously under used - the majority of sailors simply don't know that they exist.

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    Not at all - I am a great fan of the NCI - but they seem to be seriously under used - the majority of sailors simply don't know that they exist.
    Possibly because, except over a minuscule proportion of our coastline, they don't.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast