Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: When guests on board Boost your ego, call Chnl 16 !?

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    Possibly because, except over a minuscule proportion of our coastline, they don't.
    But it is the miniscule proportion that is the home of the vast majority of the sailing community!

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    But it is the miniscule proportion that is the home of the vast majority of the sailing community!
    I think you mean the boat parking and motoring majority.

Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

I feel left out as I have never called the Coastguard for a VHF check. Do you think I should start?
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

Not at all - I am a great fan of the NCI - but they seem to be seriously under used - the majority of sailors simply don't know that they exist.
    NCI being "under-used" is surely a good thing - it means nobody is coming to grief in the areas covered.

Quote Originally Posted by penberth3 View Post
    NCI being "under-used" is surely a good thing - it means nobody is coming to grief in the areas covered.
    Indeed; they also quietly support the security services -- all good stuff

Not necessarily - people "coming to grief" will probably go straight for the Coast Guard - I can't imagine calling "NCI Calshot, help please - I'm sinking!"

The NCI are volunteers who are ready to step in and do a lot of the more mundane things that people incorrectly put on the Coast Guard. Mucking about in the Solent on a sunny Saturday, the poor CG are getting bombarded with calls for a radio check plus a fair few requests to repeat the most recent weather forecast. The NCI guys are sitting there with their own dedicated channel and very happy to help with these non-critical administrative and information requests - makes much more sense to use them than to clag up channel 16 which is supposed to be kept free for genuine emergency traffic.

Not necessarily - people "coming to grief" will probably go straight for the Coast Guard - I can't imagine calling "NCI Calshot, help please - I'm sinking!"...
    You're assuming everybody has a radio.

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    If I wanted a VHF radio check I would call our handheld but not on Ch16. For our SSB the only option is the coastguard and I called once before we went long distance sailing.
    Now there's a genius idea ,
    How many boats have several handhelds, because they think they will need them, but dont test them with their VHF ,
    there was an article in Yachting Monthly in regards to people radio checking on 16 when their was a PAN PAN on going and the Coast guard had to constantly ask the boat in question to repeat itself because the clueless were still radio checking over 16 canceling out the boat needing aid.
    auribus teneo lupum

You're assuming everybody has a radio.
    If they haven't got a radio then this thread isn't really very relevant...

Dum vivimus vivamus

Quote Originally Posted by savageseadog View Post
    I've always maintained that these radio checks are an indications of insecurity and self importance in different measures.
    Seems to me that the self important are those trying to dictate to others how they can and cannot use their radios.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast