Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: When guests on board Boost your ego, call Chnl 16 !?

If I really feel the need to boost my ego with guests or novices aboard, it's far easier to put them on the tiller for a while. Their appreciation of your boat handling skills goes up ten-fold. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone impressed by usage of the radio; although our radio checks are to handhelds or if sailing in company, a fellow yacht.

Nikia…"Dymo Tape"!!!..,
    And it's still there?
    I remember those little machines well , don't think I've seen one in 40 years.
    If you stuck it there guess you must be 60 + ?
    Best
    Mad Pad

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Pad View Post
    Nikia…"Dymo Tape"!!!..,
    And it's still there?
    I remember those little machines well , don't think I've seen one in 40 years.
    If you stuck it there guess you must be 60 + ?
    Best
    Mad Pad
    You can include me as a Dymo-user too, and if you wish to suggest that I must be over 60 I will be flattered.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

IN seriousness, in the aviation world you would be thought a nut to call for a radio check, and it was my inclination to feel the same in this world, and, I might add, I have very rarely asked for a radio check. However, the reality is that in the aviation world the check just as effectively comes from the initial contact with the tower, so while you arent specifically requesting a radio check, you will know whether or not the radio is working before you get airborn. At some places you may well need to call for a lock or bridge, another effective check. However, for many, there is no need for any communication before setting off. Now you might well feel a prat if, several hours later, you did need to call a Mayday. It is possible that the receive is working, and not the transmit. It is entirely possible the radio isnt working at all. Both are possible failure modes. It is very unlikely indeed that one frequency is working and another not.

It may not be so silly as we are all (well most) inclined to make out.

I am getting worried now.
    Do you think that I should call the CG on my mobile phone , to check that is working as well?
    Should I carry 2 coke tins & a bit of string in my grab bag as a back up, in case of total failure?
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by ip485 View Post
    IN seriousness, in the aviation world you would be thought a nut to call for a radio check.
    Flying from EGNH ( Blackpool to you ) the procedure was always to push the aircraft out of the hangar, start up, call tower with "Blackpool tower good morning G-ABCD request radio check and taxi please". There again, flying from uncontrolled fields like RAF Henlow if there was no activity one kept quiet and just got on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Seems to me that the self important are those trying to dictate to others how they can and cannot use their radios.
    No. VHF is a safety aid. Radio checks are a misuse of the facility, the problem being that on the South coast the plethora of radio checks means that important stuff can be left unheard. Some skippers turn their radios down or off because of the constant nonsense. It's not even as if it's necessary to do radio checks, it's easy enough to arrange something with a friend, club, marina or whatever. Do other outdoor leisure enthusiasts go ringing the Police up to tell them they're going up Snowdon or down some pothole? No. The other issue is that ultimately the authorities might take the view that because leisure boaters are a load of incompetents and can't be trusted to run their boats properly, regulation and taxation to pay for it might follow.

I'll add that on the Irish Sea, radio checks are rarely heard.
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

Quote Originally Posted by savageseadog View Post
    No. VHF is a safety aid. Radio checks are a misuse of the facility, the problem being that on the South coast the plethora of radio checks means that important stuff can be left unheard. Some skippers turn their radios down or off because of the constant nonsense. It's not even as if it's necessary to do radio checks, it's easy enough to arrange something with a friend, club, marina or whatever. Do other outdoor leisure enthusiasts go ringing the Police up to tell them they're going up Snowdon or down some pothole? No. The other issue is that ultimately the authorities might take the view that because leisure boaters are a load of incompetents and can't be trusted to run their boats properly, regulation and taxation to pay for it might follow.

I'll add that on the Irish Sea, radio checks are rarely heard.
    See, you are doing it again.........

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    See, you are doing it again.........
    It's misuse. I assume that you advocate misuse then?
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

Don't forget that almost all of us have DSC radios now - it's been quite a few years since the major manufacturers stopped making non-DSC sets. Somewhere buried (possibly quite deeply) in the menu structure you will find an entry for "Test call" or something similar. Select this, key in the MMSI of a reasonably near CG station (you should have them programmed in anyway) - and it will do a radio check without any humans involved and without clagging up 16.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast