Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Default Re: When guests on board Boost your ego, call Chnl 16 !?

Quote Originally Posted by savageseadog View Post
    It's misuse. I assume that you advocate misuse then?
    You say that some people switch their radios off because of this problem: I certainly switch mine off having departed a Solent port. The fact is though that the Coastguard has abandoned its effort from a few years ago to move such calls from Ch16 to a working channel. It is therefore reasonable to infer that the Coastguard doesn't see this as a problem, which I guess is its prerogative?

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    The fact is though that the Coastguard has abandoned its effort from a few years ago to move such calls from Ch16 to a working channel. It is therefore reasonable to infer that the Coastguard doesn't see this as a problem, which I guess is its prerogative?
    More a case of standardisation, I think - the initial call on 67 for routine traffic was always a Solent peculiarity due to the number of calls (they even had an extra physical antenna compared to CG stations around the rest of the country). Since there is no longer a Solent Coastguard, just Fareham pretending, the national procedure holds which is to make all calls initially on 16.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    More a case of standardisation, I think - the initial call on 67 for routine traffic was always a Solent peculiarity due to the number of calls (they even had an extra physical antenna compared to CG stations around the rest of the country). Since there is no longer a Solent Coastguard, just Fareham pretending, the national procedure holds which is to make all calls initially on 16.

Pete

Ah yes I think that's the explanation. I guess they could if they wanted direct radio checks to another channel, but as you say probably can't be bothered on a national basis

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post

Pete
    I never make an "initial call" to the coastguard on any channel - I call them by DSC.

Surely it can't be beyond the wit of man to have a channel that simply replays the incoming message with a 3 second delay. Ok it may get messy to find a free channel, but checking your radio works with the coastguard appears to be a waste of a valuable resource.

In the 28 years that I have had a VHF on the boat I have used it maybe half a dozen times.

The person who sold me the boat did a radio check and indicated his position as being about 100 miles from where he really was.

"Yep," he would say to them, "great propagation today...."
    Last edited by Sybarite; 02-11-18 at 21:01.

It's misuse. I assume that you advocate misuse then?
    No it isnt and no I dont.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    You say that some people switch their radios off because of this problem: I certainly switch mine off having departed a Solent port.
    Duh. Muppetry. Its not a 'problem'. Really.

It's misuse.
    No it isn't, have you actually got an operting licence? because if you had and you could remember the regs you would be aware of that fact.

On another note I'm also a fan of c/s and MMSI on dymo tape next to the station in addition to the SOS crib, but do I like the idea of adding dimensions to that, so thanks to the poster who suggested that above.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyG View Post
    Surely it can't be beyond the wit of man to have a channel that simply replays the incoming message with a 3 second delay.
    But what would be the point? The people who don’t use the NCI won't use your automatic system either.

Pete

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast