Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Default Re: When guests on board Boost your ego, call Chnl 16 !?

Seems to me that the CG should be the arbiter of whether they would like fewer radio checks... If they don't like them, they're free to answer the current check and then ask the caller to use NCI (or whatever) on 65 in the future.
    Personally, I do find them irritating and have never felt the need to make one myself. I also wonder what those that do make them would do if no-one answered. RTB or continue? Because if they'd continue anyway why make the check in the first place...
    Save someone's life ... https://www.mind.org.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Pad View Post
    Nikia…"Dymo Tape"!!!..,
    And it's still there?
    I remember those little machines well , don't think I've seen one in 40 years.
    If you stuck it there guess you must be 60 + ?
    Best
    Mad Pad
    Well, yes I am, in body but not in spirit.
    However, my Dymo printer was only purchased 3 years ago, and I consider it very useful, not antiquated, much like myself 😉

This perennial argument always seems to polarize people into two types.

Type 1.

IVE GOT A RADIO ON MY BOAT AND PEOPLE ARE TALKING ON IT HOW DARE THEY I PAID GOOD MONEY AND I DONT EXPECT TO HEAR ALL THAT NONSENSE GOING ON MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL AND THERE GOES MY PHONE RINGING AGAIN IF IVE TOLD IT ONCE IVE TOLD IT A HUNDRED TIMES BLAH BLAH BLAH....

Type 2.

Ive got a radio on my boat. People talk on it.

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post

Type 1.

IVE GOT A RADIO ON MY BOAT AND PEOPLE ARE TALKING ON IT HOW DARE THEY I PAID GOOD MONEY AND I DONT EXPECT TO HEAR ALL THAT NONSENSE GOING ON MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL AND THERE GOES MY PHONE RINGING AGAIN IF IVE TOLD IT ONCE IVE TOLD IT A HUNDRED TIMES BLAH BLAH BLAH....

Type 2.

Channel 16 VHF. Channel 16 VHF (156.8 MHz) is a marine VHF radio frequency designated as an international distress frequency. Primarily intended for distress, urgency and safety priority calls, the frequency may also carry routine calls used to establish communication before switching to another working channel.

I think the truth of channel 16 is in the detail , at no point does it say and radio checks , I would not think it is classed as a routine call , nor a safety issue as you are not required to have one
    auribus teneo lupum

Quote Originally Posted by moomba View Post
    I think the truth of channel 16 is in the detail , at no point does it say and radio checks , I would not think it is classed as a routine call , nor a safety issue as you are not required to have one
    Also, perhaps more pertinently, the CG would make it clear (as of course they do when people actually do misuse it) if they felt radio checks to them were a misuse of the channel.

Yes but it is OFCOM that are in charge of VHF frequencies in this country , so I would be surprised that the CG can do anything legally , rather they advise people that the channel is for the purposes as stated in previous post,
    I think out of some kind of Duty they take these calls , probably to get them of the air asap , the only reason for calling the CG in an no emergency situation , for us was to give them passage planning info if we we doing a long journey.
    auribus teneo lupum

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post

Type 1.

Type 2.

You have forgotten "3"
    I have a VHF radio but have to keep it turned off because some berk 75 miles away in France wants to tell me -via DSC- something, about which I have no interest: & I cannot get below to turn the damned thing off because I am on deck, or simply struggling to do something else. If I leave it to turn the alarm off by itself I find that it has changed channel & is no longer on 16 which is the channel that want it to be on (if it was turned on that is!!)
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

If I felt I had the need to impress my visitors in my humble opinion :-

1) I have the wrong visitors on board.

2) It's time to sell the boat.
    Work is for people who don't sail!
    Sail-Malta.com

Quote Originally Posted by LONG_KEELER View Post
    Why not contact Coastwatch on Ch65 . They would probably like a chat to hone their radio skills. Check when they are manned though.ò

You can also say how much you appreciate their service.
    Calling Chnl 65, no it don't cut the mustard, Chnl 16 is the one for your ego !

Oh, don't tell anyone I said so, but calling NCI you should include their name, Portland , St. Alhelms, Worms Head, Rossall Point ... Ahhh the good old days ...' ere, that sounds real ego boosting, "Hey Google, where's my nearest NCI?"

This thread reminds me of an incident this year.

It is much quieter up in the North West but we do get a ruck of Radio Checks on busy summer weekends usually from the ManCheshire on sea brigade.
    On such a weekend we were quietly anchored up and had our radio on very low with the squelch turned down to eliminate the radio check noise from Abersoch but still able to receive HHCG. I happen to hear a very clear but quiet Mayday with lots of domestic, party and or entertaining noises in the back ground. No urgency in the call.

A few minutes later this call was repeated but with a boat name whispered before Mayday.
    The signal was very strong and I knew the boat was within close range and exactly where it was moored having seen it in harbour earlier in the day.
    There was a very long delay and I was just about to acknowledge the Mayday when HHCG went through their acknowledgment routine. But they had not picked up the boat name. I went in on 16 and was taken to another channel to let them know where I was and what I had heard and that in my view it was a hoax call.
    Holyhead then repeatedly called up the boat on Channel 16 , giving its full name and exact location under a full mayday routine. Eventually a very embarrassed owner acknowledged Holyhead and was fully admonished on 16 for allowing a Guest to misuse the radio. HH emphasized that 16 was for real emergencies only and that Hoax and unnecessary calls on 16 hinder their operation. This seemed to have a dramatic effect and significantly reduced the radio check brigade to silence for the rest of the afternoon.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast