Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 81
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    19,959

    Default Re: When guests on board Boost your ego, call Chnl 16 !?

    Quote Originally Posted by moomba View Post
    Yes but it is OFCOM that are in charge of VHF frequencies in this country , so I would be surprised that the CG can do anything legally , rather they advise people that the channel is for the purposes as stated in previous post,
    I think out of some kind of Duty they take these calls , probably to get them of the air asap , the only reason for calling the CG in an no emergency situation , for us was to give them passage planning info if we we doing a long journey.
    The answer the calls because it expands the Empire. They have all these important calls to answer so they need the staff etc etc. It's also the thin end of a wedge toward more regulation.

    In answer to those that say it isn't misuse. By Law it isn't but did anyone ever think the CH16, the safety channel, would be clogged up with nonsense propagated by idiots when the rules were drafted? What on earth do ship's maters think of it all? If these calls reduce the viability of CH16 then it is being misused.
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,278

    Default Re: When guests on board Boost your ego, call Chnl 16 !?

    Quote Originally Posted by savageseadog View Post
    The answer the calls because it expands the Empire. They have all these important calls to answer so they need the staff etc etc. It's also the thin end of a wedge toward more regulation.

    In answer to those that say it isn't misuse. By Law it isn't but did anyone ever think the CH16, the safety channel, would be clogged up with nonsense propagated by idiots when the rules were drafted? What on earth do ship's maters think of it all? If these calls reduce the viability of CH16 then it is being misused.
    However, your opinion counts for nowt, in real life the rules & regulations still hold. BTW I love the idea of a ship having a mater, it sounds quite cosy and Victorian.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Oban
    Posts
    1,719

    Default Re: When guests on board Boost your ego, call Chnl 16 !?

    Due to some damage to my antenna and check to see what signal I could get by patching it to the AIS aerial, I anticipated, and had, a need for a series of radio checks. Because people on the forum have routinely ridiculed radio-check-junkies I phoned the coastguard and asked them what their attitude to this was. The answer was "Call us briefly on Channel 16 like everyone else. We're delighted to help."

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,278

    Default Re: When guests on board Boost your ego, call Chnl 16 !?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amulet View Post
    Due to some damage to my antenna and check to see what signal I could get by patching it to the AIS aerial, I anticipated, and had, a need for a series of radio checks. Because people on the forum have routinely ridiculed radio-check-junkies I phoned the coastguard and asked them what their attitude to this was. The answer was "Call us briefly on Channel 16 like everyone else. We're delighted to help."

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    N Kent Coast
    Posts
    4,058

    Default Re: When guests on board Boost your ego, call Chnl 16 !?

    A spokesman continued: "HM Coastguard is also happy to receive radio checks from vessels if they wish to check their equipment before heading out to sea.

    https://www.kentonline.co.uk/folkest...psized-193010/

    Perhaps sailors are more sensitive to this issue than the coast guard?

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    19,959

    Default Re: When guests on board Boost your ego, call Chnl 16 !?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pye_End View Post
    A spokesman continued: "HM Coastguard is also happy to receive radio checks from vessels if they wish to check their equipment before heading out to sea.

    https://www.kentonline.co.uk/folkest...psized-193010/

    Perhaps sailors are more sensitive to this issue than the coast guard?
    Of course they do. They want to be in control and build the Empire up.
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlantic
    Posts
    17,495

    Default Re: When guests on board Boost your ego, call Chnl 16 !?

    Quote Originally Posted by savageseadog View Post
    Of course they do. They want to be in control and build the Empire up.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    11,684

    Default Re: When guests on board Boost your ego, call Chnl 16 !?

    Quote Originally Posted by savageseadog View Post
    Of course they do. They want to be in control and build the Empire up.
    I'm sure that there is a degree of that involved. It's no secret that the government has been trying to save money on the coast guard - there has been a significant reorganisation not long ago - and having all those staff sitting for hours doing nothing while they wait for the next emergency call does their case for continued funding no good at all. I often leave the radio switched on, tuned to 16, to see what is happening - and there is silence for long periods - and I'm sitting in Portsmouth! The trouble is that quite a few pleasure sailors seem to be seriously short of common sense and insist on making their radio check calls in the middle of serious traffic.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    34,602

    Default Re: When guests on board Boost your ego, call Chnl 16 !?

    Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    The trouble is that quite a few pleasure sailors seem to be seriously short of common sense and insist on making their radio check calls in the middle of serious traffic.
    Some no doubt, but also bear in mind that depending on their location they might not be able to hear the distress traffic.

    Pete

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    19,959

    Default Re: When guests on board Boost your ego, call Chnl 16 !?

    Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    I'm sure that there is a degree of that involved. It's no secret that the government has been trying to save money on the coast guard - there has been a significant reorganisation not long ago - and having all those staff sitting for hours doing nothing while they wait for the next emergency call does their case for continued funding no good at all. I often leave the radio switched on, tuned to 16, to see what is happening - and there is silence for long periods - and I'm sitting in Portsmouth! The trouble is that quite a few pleasure sailors seem to be seriously short of common sense and insist on making their radio check calls in the middle of serious traffic.
    The serious traffic was probably overspoken by a radio check.

    At this time of year the leisure traffic will be much reduced. It's probably only experienced sailors that are going out and know they don't need to make radio checks or if they do they'll liaise with a club or Marina.

    For those that doubt my point about the Coastguard, they keep a log of all calls. Blank pages in the log book don't look good for next year's budget.
    Last edited by savageseadog; 08-11-18 at 11:07.
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to