Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Default Re: Classic GRP Yachts; this is mine, where is yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    There is nothing new about deep short fin keels, shallow canoe bodies and separate deep rudders with no skeg:

BONA FIDE, Charles Sibbick, 1899, now owned I think by Doug Peterson.

Conventional plank on frame construction “but carefully”!

Lovely boat, coming up to 120 years old. Such a shame that it could never be made in wood.
    Even if some experimenter managed it, it would fall apart in no time.

Tranona always likes to try and astound people by pulling a top hat out of a rabbit. The resultant mess on his hands never seems to discourage him.

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    Lovely boat, coming up to 120 years old. Such a shame that it could never be made in wood.
    Even if some experimenter managed it, it would fall apart in no time.

Tranona always likes to try and astound people by pulling a top hat out of a rabbit. The resultant mess on his hands never seems to discourage him.
    If you bothered to check it did fall apart and the current boat that exists under that name was built in 2003 although the hull incorporates 5% of the original fabric from 1900.

As I said you can always find exceptions and if it really was such a success why did virtually nobody else build boats like it for another 60 years.

As I said you can always find exceptions but that does not "prove" the basic proposition wrong. The point I was making was that the shape of boats changed dramatically in a short 10 year period following the introduction of GRP as a building material.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    If you bothered to check it did fall apart and the current boat that exists under that name was built in 2003 although the hull incorporates 5% of the original fabric from 1900.

As I said you can always find exceptions and if it really was such a success why did virtually nobody else build boats like it for another 60 years.

As I said you can always find exceptions but that does not "prove" the basic proposition wrong. The point I was making was that the shape of boats changed dramatically in a short 10 year period following the introduction of GRP as a building material.
    I think that some might say that mainstream designer's acceptance of 'separate' foils at the same time as grp became widespread was just coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    If you're going to have an ensign on a pole, surely the pole needs to be either vertical or aligned with the transom?
    Otherwise, one of my favourites!
    I should also mention that her very amateur skipper left her anchored unattended off the Colonsay ferry pier 3 years ago and she may have kissed the main supports with her stern during a 180 degree wind shift. Her ensign staff may have been bent... possibly snapped. The mounting may have been wrecked. But I couldn't possibly confirm!

Would it be true to say that classic GRP yachts were the products of classic designers rather than the yards that produced them? I've yet to see a Holman&Pye yacht that looked wrong or had vices, similarly Peter Brett, Dick Carter, Pelle Petersen, and I'm sure lots of others of whom I have no experience. They worked to the rules and fashions of their time, but their boats still make good cruisers. Yards or designers?

Quote Originally Posted by escapism View Post
    Would it be true to say that classic GRP yachts were the products of classic designers rather than the yards that produced them? I've yet to see a Holman&Pye yacht that looked wrong or had vices, similarly Peter Brett, Dick Carter, Pelle Petersen, and I'm sure lots of others of whom I have no experience. They worked to the rules and fashions of their time, but their boats still make good cruisers. Yards or designers?
    Good point; the Yard must have the skill to produce the specification set by the designer at an economic level to ensure profit for the business; quality standards, productivity turnover, manufacturing techniques and consistency are all important.

I am still surprised that no one has mensioned the Moodys and Westerlys and others. Some desingers like Angus Primrose, revolutionised yacht desings and their desings are still "fresh and ut to date; for me, this is rare skill and these yachts are "classic".

Quote Originally Posted by RivalRedwing View Post
    Unless I missed it.... there is not one mention of a Co32.... amazing on a thread of this length

I am voting for the Rival 34 (with a bias ;-))

A rather poor photo in post 29, here is a better snap:

An easy "whereisit" for south coast sailors?

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    A rather poor photo in post 29, here is a better snap:

An easy "whereisit" for south coast sailors?
    This is a very nice boat.

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN FANTASTIC View Post
    Unique looks
    I was one of a 3 man team who fitted out the first one
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

This is my Atlantic crossing FRANCES 26 - enjoy. - http://www.ybw.com/boats-for-sale/6827437?currency=

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast