Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Default Re: Classic GRP Yachts; this is mine, where is yours?

Try number 2

This is my Sailmaster 845

Probably not a classic but a good honest boat designed by Khan Walker in Australia as a lighter faster alternative to his Walker H28 ketch

Mine was built in 1984

Regards Don
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Don107; 04-11-18 at 08:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggy View Post
    This is mine. Significantly better looking than her current guardian. Sporting a new cruising laminate mainsail, depressingly difficult to flake.

Absolute cracker.

"Fit for a glass case" as Tilman used to say.

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    Absolute cracker.

"Fit for a glass case" as Tilman used to say.
    Yes, definitely the best contribution so far

Quote Originally Posted by westhinder View Post
    Fundamental question that everybody has chosen to ignore so far.
    It can’t just be a question of age, there must be more to it.
    Let me try to suggest a few aspects:
    - typical of its era, a good example of what was considered a good, seaworthy vessel, well built using the materials and techniques available at the time
    - belonging to a period in the past, otherwise it is not possible to judge what is typical of that period
    - to many, Classic will have overtones of elegance, beauty and desirability, hence the distinction betwee typical and classic
    I think there is also some sort of link between 'classic' and 'traditional', in the sense that the design tries to reflect ideas of beauty etc. that are seen as more long-lasting than those fashionable at a specific time.
    I am not familiar with the type and history of Shuggy's very nice looking yacht, but my Vindö built 1980 is certainly not typical of its era.
    Instead the design, and in part construction, represent yachts from at least a couple of decades earlier. An attempt to make a 'ready-made classic' of its day, perhaps.
    Not sure how that should be perceived today, maybe as a 'meta classic'?
    In fact, one could argue it is a negation of the 'GRP classic', because it aspires to look like a wooden boat.

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Poignard View Post
    Yes, definitely the best contribution so far
    +1
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    57°51.42' N 5°29.44' W

Quote Originally Posted by BabaYaga View Post
    In fact, one could argue it is a negation of the 'GRP classic', because it aspires to look like a wooden boat.
    Exactly. Almost all the boats featured here are pastiches of wooden boats which generally looked that way because of the characteristics of wood as a boat building material.

If "classic" is being linked to a material (GRP) then perhaps it should feature boats that could not have been built in traditional wood, so are a classic use of GRP.

I will kick off with a Sadler Barracuda - the very antithesis of most of the boats so far. I know the first was built of wood composite but its concept and shape were not determined by traditional wood.

My little twister.
    She's getting a full set of fancy B&G instruments fitted this winter so her classic stowe towed log and seafarer flashing spinning depth sounder are available to anyone who wants period gear.
    IMG_1037 (2).jpg
    IMG_0909.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Buck Turgidson; 04-11-18 at 17:34.

Quote Originally Posted by BabaYaga View Post
    I am not familiar with the type and history of Shuggy's very nice looking yacht, but my Vindö built 1980 is certainly not typical of its era.
    Your Vindo is perhaps not typical of Swedish boats of the time, but composite boats in the same general style were common in Germany until quite recently, and may still be made as far as I know by small builders on the Schlei. Sirius used to build boats like this at least until recently, though in a rather different form with a pilot house. They have the advantage over there that winter cover is economical.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggy View Post
    This is mine. Significantly better looking than her current guardian. Sporting a new cruising laminate mainsail, depressingly difficult to flake.

If you're going to have an ensign on a pole, surely the pole needs to be either vertical or aligned with the transom?
    Otherwise, one of my favourites!

Yes definitely the ensign staff is not right and the ensign ought to be bigger ,just grazing the waterline.......IMVHO!

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast