Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sealing A Leaky Chain Plate

I have a stainless steel chain plate for a detachable inner fore-stay for setting a storm jib. The chain-plate is through bolted to the bulkhead at the back of the anchor locker with six s/s bolts. Rather inconveniently if the anchor locker fills with water then water was getting through the bolt holes for the chain-plate into the fore-cabin. I have removed the chain-plate and re-bedded it with silicone sealant but have not yet tested it. However, I am also wondering whether the chain-plate could be painted with epoxy or some other material to optimise sealing.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on this?

Many thanks

Default Re: Sealing A Leaky Chain Plate

Have you really used silicone? - not really suitable for the job as it does not seal well to either wood or Stainless. Reseal it with either a polyurethane or butyl sealant - might also be a good idea to seal the holes in the bulkhead with epoxy first. The stainless does not need any coating - that is why stainless is used.

Reading a reputable American blogger a few days ago convinced me that silicone should never be allowed near a boat, though it's sold by most chandlers. I took out an aft cabin window last April; the previous owner had used silicone to seat the thing. The silicone had made a very poor, leaky sealing compound. So I scratched out the lot and replaced it with one of the Sikaflex compounds.

Bricks & mortar: Italy. Me & boat: Aegean

I can only agree that silicone is absolutely the wrong stuff (for most things) and that butyl or a polyurethane sealant would be far better. The trouble now is that nothing will stick to the surface coated with silicone without a fairly severe mechanical scrubbing. Fortunately, since it's stainless steel, that should be straightforward. The other surface to which the silicone was applied (GRP?) should also be thoroughly attacked in the same way.

As well as bedding-down the body of the chainplate, if the bolts involved are countersunk, they're particularly easy to seal with butyl tape: simply form a butyl cone under each countersunk head and bolt down.
    All epigrams are false

Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    I can only agree that silicone is absolutely the wrong stuff (for most things) and that butyl or a polyurethane sealant would be far better. The trouble now is that nothing will stick to the surface coated with silicone without a fairly severe mechanical scrubbing. Fortunately, since it's stainless steel, that should be straightforward. The other surface to which the silicone was applied (GRP?) should also be thoroughly attacked in the same way.

As well as bedding-down the body of the chainplate, if the bolts involved are countersunk, they're particularly easy to seal with butyl tape: simply form a butyl cone under each countersunk head and bolt down.
    Would not butyl gradually extrude over time? Would it not be better to coat the hole & thread in a Sycaflex?
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Would not butyl gradually extrude over time? Would it not be better to coat the hole & thread in a Sycaflex?
    It does slowly extrude, but never in my experience to the point where the seal is broken. Excellent stuff, and never sets, so the items sealed can always easily be dismantled.
    Sycaflex is presumably the new green version of the well-known family of goo?
    All epigrams are false

Very helpful replies. Thanks guys.

I previously thought that Sikaflex was synonymous with silicon - now I know better - my only problem is now I am not sure whether I in fact used used silicon or Sikaflex - hopefully the remains of the tube are in the locker.

Clean the surfaces with Acetone and then use polyurethane sealant; it won't leak!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoster View Post
    my only problem is now I am not sure whether I in fact used used silicon or Sikaflex - hopefully the remains of the tube are in the locker.
    Whatever it was, it clearly didn't work and will need to be removed. However, unlike silicone, a small residue of any Sikalex probably won't prevent the adhesion of any new sealant applied.
    Incidentally there's no more a substance called "Sikaflex" than there is one called "Heinz". It's a family of products with different chemistries and properties. If you use it, choose the right one for the job.
    All epigrams are false

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Not quite the same job but may give you some idea of the steps necessary. http://coxeng.co.uk/sails-and-rig/sa...p-chainplates/
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast