Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Sealing A Leaky Chain Plate

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    Not quite the same job but may give you some idea of the steps necessary. http://coxeng.co.uk/sails-and-rig/sa...p-chainplates/
    Very thorough and useful as always.
    I hadn't heard of Puraflex before. I've currently got most of my deck fittings off and will be re-bedding them, so am toying with various options such as CT1, butyl tape, or Sika.
    My chainplates have only a small tufnol covering plate held down by self tappers, rather than a welded flange at deck level. So I am leaning towards CT1 as being the most bomb-proof option. Any shrinkage away from the stainless chainplate itself will cause a leak though, so maybe it would be better to use butyl and just check/renew regularly?
    Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by Kelpie View Post
    Very ..... I've currently got most of my deck fittings off and will be re-bedding them, so am toying with various options such as CT1, butyl tape, or Sika.
    My chainplates have only a small tufnol covering plate held down by self tappers, rather than a welded flange at deck level. So I am leaning towards CT1 as being the most bomb-proof option. Any shrinkage away from the stainless chainplate itself will cause a leak though, so maybe it would be better to use butyl and just check/renew regularly?

I have tried butyl tape but am not totally convinced yet. Polywotsits I don,t fancy at all. Tom Cunliffe has similar chainplates to you and was singing the praises of this stuff:

https://www.sealantsdirect.co.uk/arb...rey-380ml.html

I will be trying it next time.

I swear by CT1, it's never let me down so far.

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    I have tried butyl tape but am not totally convinced yet. Polywotsits I don,t fancy at all. Tom Cunliffe has similar chainplates to you and was singing the praises of this stuff:

https://www.sealantsdirect.co.uk/arb...rey-380ml.html

I will be trying it next time.
    Same sealant as the tape you used but in a different form. Equally good at sealing. big advantage over polyurethane is that it is non setting. Another alternative is polysulphide (also non setting) from the same manufacturer. Had better be good as I bedded my keel with it in 1995 - still no leaks!

In my view, the design of the joint and sealant interface is more important than the choice of sealant.
    Whatever sealant you use, there will eventually be problems if it's squeezed down to zero thickness by the pressure on the joint.
    You want something like a chamfer on the holes to provide some volume for the sealant.
    So you have something like 2mm of sealant where it has to move with the parts. Silicone for example will stretch something like 100% before failure, 2mm of it will survive the joint being stressed, a micron-thin layer will only move a micron before failure.
    Done properly silicone is a pretty good sealant. Others are better, but will still fail in a poor joint. Many have lower % strain to fail than silicone. Non-setting can move infinitely, but that's no good if it moves away from sealing the right bits....
    I'd use polyurethane because it is easy to to a good job of priming and porous surfaces, using normal paint primer or even varnish.
    With a chain plate, you need to be clear whether the bolts are supposed to be in shear or in tension, with the main load being friction between the plate and the substrate. A non-setting goo may allow all the tension to be lost....

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    Same sealant as the tape you used but in a different form.

Quite so, the link tells us what it is. I am suggesting the OP might try Cunliffe's suggestion because it is a different formulation

My first thought, as a bodger rather than an engineer, was that the strength of the bulkhead at the join needs to be checked. If it is flexing or moving under strain, this might add to the problem and possibly some reinforcement at this point might assist.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

If the problem is being caused by water sitting in th chain locker rather draining away before it has time to work through the seal, then perhaps improving the locker drainage arrangements might be a good idea?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12