Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Spanish Insurance

🛵

As the boat is in Spain and regularly berthed there, I presume you live there ? and this is due for renewal shortly ? in view of the current uncertainty might it not be prudent to find a spanish insurer or at least one that is based in the EU (ie not UK ) i would want to see a translation of the policy wording of course.

Bricks & mortar: Italy. Me & boat: Aegean

Quote Originally Posted by chrishscorp View Post
    in view of the current uncertainty might it not be prudent to find a spanish insurer or at least one that is based in the EU (ie not UK ) i would want to see a translation of the policy wording of course.
    UK insurers covered risks in EU countries long before there was an EU and will no doubt continue to do so after. There are few world companies with a reach more global than Lloyds.
    Equally, the very idea of pursuing a claim in a language I don't understand fills me with dread.
    All epigrams are false

Don't get too worried on Brexit as whatever outcome on equivalence most insurers have EC companies regulated by a variety of regulators and currently cover out of say Irish branches or Belgium registered insurers . Additionally most insurers have fronting arrangements with other insurers outside EC even if your UK based insurer was not able to cover via a sub. Most are dealing in any event with brokers in whose interest it is to find insurer panel members which can find global coverage solutions for their clients.

Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    UK insurers covered risks in EU countries long before there was an EU and will no doubt continue to do so after. There are few world companies with a reach more global than Lloyds.
    Equally, the very idea of pursuing a claim in a language I don't understand fills me with dread.
    Yes I know and would strongly agree with all of that. It all depends if we crash out without a deal or indeed the terms of the deal

Found the article i was thinking of, Huw Evans ABI director general interviewed by MPs. its not just pensions, some 38 million insurance contracts could be affected.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8461166.html

Not wishing to start a brexit war on here, simply something the OP may wish to consider

Just seen Ashteads post whilst i have been typing and trawling for mine, interesting post
    Last edited by chrishscorp; 04-11-18 at 09:35.

To use a Spanish insurer I believe you need to have a NIE or NIF.

Quote Originally Posted by agurney View Post
    To use a Spanish insurer I believe you need to have a NIE or NIF.
    I am certain that's correct. My excellent insurers https://www.yachtmasterinsurance.co....php/contact-us know I have lived out of the UK for decades and currently Spain. I arrange a cruising area at the start of each policy and add to it as my cruising plans change.
    There seems to be a vast difference between the major and impersonal brokers and independent companies as above to whom you can pick up the phone and chat to a knowledgeable person rather than someone who is just selling insurance/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12