Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Sailing West Coast of Scotland real life experiences please

I’m a “first timer” berth holder in The Clyde, having had to find a new home following the demise of my previous, long term base (Holyhead).

Welcomes are always warm and friendly. Some of the most spectacular scenery that the UK has to offer. During the summer we travelled as far as Lough Foyle, Londonderry.

It’s certainly true that you should plan for 4 seasons of weather in any one day. That said, the many Whisky Distillery tours make good weather bound excursions.

My haul-out was earlier this week. Yard provided cradle is very robust, more so than my own which is still in north Wales. My mast remains up and I have nothing but respect for the Yard guys.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Swinging moorings are generally owned and administered through moorings associations, which makes it very cheap.
    To be clear, the hardware is the boat owner's and costs circa £1k if bought new, 2nd hand can be available. Where it is dropped is in the province of the mooring association, or the Crown Estates if you want to be independent.

Ashton (RGYC), Cardwell Bay (CBSC), Holy Loch, Fairlie, Tignabruich, Tarbert, Lochranza, Lamlash and more all have moorings associations some of which involve yacht club membership.

Very few moorings in Tarbert these days, and most of those that are left are owned by the harbour board. That said, I'd be surprised if you couldn't get a slot on the pontoons. It is a very well protected anchorage, and so quite a few of the larger boats (say 30' +) stay in all year. The winter sailing can be superb, and hopefully (once ex-Oscar is out of the way) we will be off for a sail tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    To be clear, the hardware is the boat owner's and costs circa £1k if bought new, 2nd hand can be available. Where it is dropped is in the province of the mooring association, or the Crown Estates if you want to be independent.

Ashton (RGYC), Cardwell Bay (CBSC), Holy Loch, Fairlie, Tignabruich, Tarbert, Lochranza, Lamlash and more all have moorings associations some of which involve yacht club membership.
    You are absolutely right. I missed a comma: I should have written that "Moorings are generally owned, and administered through moorings associations ..." Thanks for spotting and clarifying my mistake.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Can't comment much on anything south of the MoK as my sailing has mostly been north of that. The brief time I've spent there it did seem quite civilised, with lots of day sail possibilities and well equipped marinas.

In the eight years I've had a yacht, I have spent one winter on a pontoon and two winters ashore- and the rest of the time on swing moorings. Perhaps I have just been very lucky.
    Of course there are moorings and there are moorings. Some people's ideas of a heavy mooring is a lump of concrete and some half inch chain... up here people generally use fish farm equipment- multiple 150kg+ anchors, stud link ground chain, 19mm riser chain, 600l rigid buoy, seasteel strop 30mm or more.
    Most of the fishing boats around here use a similar setup, and stay in commission all year round.
    Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

Thanks everybody, really interesting, useful information. YBW forums at their best.

Useful website if you have not looked already.
    https://www.sailscotland.co.uk/
    auribus teneo lupum

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mataji View Post
    Attachment 74024

Aran from the West Kyle.

Winter sailing on the Clyde can be glorious. Days are short yes, but there are many places you can get to in 2 to 3 hours. The weather is often not much worse than in summer.
    Correct. We spent 6 weeks in the Clyde 2014, late June early July.

It was 7 degrees C in mid July!

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    Correct. We spent 6 weeks in the Clyde 2014, late June early July.

It was 7 degrees C in mid July!
    That sort of thing happens occasionally. When the South is basking in 30 plus we regularly hit the high teens, so don't be expecting roasting summer weather. There are glorious summer days - and they are long. Mind you, the occasional one or two good days are often separated by 2 or three wet and windy days.... Not cold by Scottish standards but 10-15C is not unusual

Quote Originally Posted by pagoda View Post
    That sort of thing happens occasionally. When the South is basking in 30 plus we regularly hit the high teens, so don't be expecting roasting summer weather. There are glorious summer days - and they are long. Mind you, the occasional one or two good days are often separated by 2 or three wet and windy days.... Not cold by Scottish standards but 10-15C is not unusual
    this summer was nearly 5 weeks on the trot of wall to wall sunshine , very very rare temps drop to 7 degrees in fact I would question this on were and when that temp was recorded.
    Best weather May to early July , then Rainy August kicks in
    auribus teneo lupum

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast