Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Visas?

Default Re: Visas?

Quote Originally Posted by moomba View Post
    Why would the EU Make it Hard for UK citizens move around Europe , we are one of the biggest exporters of tourists and some place in Europe relies on that money ,this scaremongering is in peoples heads, money will always talk.
    Could be a pain at regional airports though when arriving UK tourists will have to use the often single non EU passport desk

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    Could be a pain at regional airports though when arriving UK tourists will have to use the often single non EU passport desk
    This be true , my wife travels on a USA passport , if you avoid Heathrow she gets through quicker than me , but if were all bundled into one line , bring the coffee.
    Last edited by moomba; 04-11-18 at 12:16. Reason: spelling , grammer
    auribus teneo lupum

, money will always talk.
    You must have a great deal of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Poignard View Post
    You must have a great deal of it.
    yes I do thanks
    auribus teneo lupum

Why would the EU Make it Hard for UK citizens move around Europe ...
    They won't, as long as we make it easy for EU citizens to visit the UK. The notion that the rest of the EU (pop 442m) needs us (pop 66m) more than we need them is one of the Great Fantasies of the Breacherous.

Anyway, moving around Europe isn't the issue, as Schengen takes care of that. It's getting into Europe which could be harder. I don't expect visas, though having to join the "Non-EU" passport queues is alsmost certain to slow things down a lot. If Brexit happens, of course.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by langstonelayabout View Post
    Visa or not, I expect that the Customs forces that greet incoming British yachts will 'do the job properly' with regards to paperwork, licences, nationally-required equipment, liferaft service dates, flare expiry dates, contraband, red diesel and any other possibility of being able to find faults with anything British.

Or am I being too cynical? At least the VAT question won't be appropriate any more
    The EU politicians might try to make things difficult, but the European people will still welcome us with open arms. They will not want to bite the hand that feeds them.

As has always been the way, the EU with dictate, and the European people will largely ignore it.

It seems very unlikely that a UK yachtsman visiting a Schengen country will need a visa in my personal opinion.

What may become difficult, in varying degrees for a period will be the 'point (or port) of entry' into a country. At the European Marinas Ive visited, quite a few, then generally details are taken of vessel and crew, including passport details and all completed at the Marina Office.

In non EU countries, you are required to clear in and out at a port of entry. In popular destinations, this is generally made easy, if somewhat time consuming, but you need to visitseparately, Customs, Immigration, Port Authority as well as on clearing, get your payment receipt from the Marina to begin the process. I can personally report that sometimes, this can take hours.

In less frequented areas, the offices may be far apart and it can take all day. I know this for a fact!

So it all depends on how the 'entry' is developed and how much of a pain it turns out to be and Id bet that every country will be a bit different in its approach. Its not the end of the world, but life for cruising sailors is about to get a degree more difficult. Oh I cant wait.........

I agree that we are unlikely to need visas to visit the EU but we will probably need to complete and probably file Schengen forms. Of course in theory we have had to do this when visiting previously though France did not require it generally, and other countries like Belgium and Netherlands were not really bothered. The chances now though are that we will have to through the formality which might mean we have to go through ports of entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobc View Post
    The EU politicians might try to make things difficult, but the European people will still welcome us with open arms. They will not want to bite the hand that feeds them.
    How lucky for the poor savages of Europe that decent Britons will still be willing to visit. I must remember to stock up on beads and fish-hooks before I next go to Germany, though I do hope the natives won't embarrass themselves too much by blubbering when I hand over the stuff.
    Last edited by JumbleDuck; 04-11-18 at 13:02.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

An interesting Graph from the EU showing that UK tourism spend is only second to the Germans
    so thats a lot of money the EU especially Spain , France ,and Italy are the main beneficiaries of the UK spend.https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statis...%80%932016.png
    auribus teneo lupum

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast