Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Default Re: Anyone drive a MK2 Cortina?

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    The 2CV was almost unbeatable on twisty country roads, because although it didn't go particularly fast (top speed about 85mph) .
    85 mph ? You must have found one with a vary optimistic speedo. The factory claimed 68 mph. Not many could reach that and any kind of head wind would see them struggle to break 60.

Mind you if you want to carry a tray of eggs plus 4 people all wearing hats across a ploughed field the 2 CV will outperform other small cars.
    Monkey patching programmer [retired ]

When I bought my Herald in 1985 she was 16 years old and had rust everywhere.
    Lucky you didn't buy a Vauxhall Victor, they rusted away in about 5 years, or a Ford 100e which often had the suspension legs rot through the inner wings.

The paint was pretty rubbish too, but of course habits like leaving unpainted bodysheels out in the open overnight - or over the weekend - at Cowley didn't help. When I bought my Herald in 1985 she was 16 years old and had rust everywhere. When I scrapped my Golf estate last year it was twenty years old and had one small (6mm) patch of rust in the middle of the driver's door.
    Golfs were not immune from tin worm, there were very few cars that were. It was only Alfa Romeo which seemed to get stuck with the stigma though.

There was a Mk1 GTI they rescued on car SOS which had barely enough metal left to call it a car.

A good deal on my garage income in the 70's and early 80's was welding up cars for MOT, no MIG, just gas welding.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'The will of the people' = The will of a few fanatics who have duped the unsuspecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    It all changed in 1978/9 - just as I started with Seagull.
    I'm sorry - I should have made it clear that it wasn't a personal dig at you, just a good example from marine industry. "The best outboard motor for the world" was probably true in the fifties, at least arguable in the sixties and not remotely tenable by the late seventies, yet they clung on to a product line which, despite its clear merits, was 20+ years out of date. See also: the British motorbike industry and its fundamental belief that dripping oil was good for the soul.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

I'm sorry - I should have made it clear that it wasn't a personal dig at you, just a good example from marine industry. "The best outboard motor for the world" was probably true in the fifties, at least arguable in the sixties and not remotely tenable by the late seventies, yet they clung on to a product line which, despite its clear merits, was 20+ years out of date. See also: the British motorbike industry and its fundamental belief that dripping oil was good for the soul.
    Did not take it personally at all. Just agreeing with you by adding the timeline. My 3 years in the turmoil was the foundations for my later career. Nothing better for learning than being at the centre of a seismic change in an industry.

Exactly the same in the boat building industry at around the same period and over the following 10 years. I can hear it now, not only because I have a good memory but because, particularly on these fora, it is still a mantra for some.

"Nobody is going to buy those cheap lightweight French boats which will fall apart in no time"

Well, we all know what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    you have to remember that its competitors at the time were wonderful things like Hillman Minxes, Vauxhall Victors, Austin Cambridges etc, most of which were based on early 1950s design.

The Cortina was a revelation. All syncro 4 speed boxes, airflow ventilation (from 65), huge boots plenty of room inside etc. OK they were light but they rusted better than the others. Other new designs like the 11/1300 might have been clever but they were badly engineered and even more badly put together.

I worked for Ford in that era from leaving school until 1968 when I changed to a major component supplier. I could not believe how awful the manufacturing facilities were in for example Rootes and Standard Triumph, never mind BMC. The only one that got anywhere near Ford was Vauxhall, but the cars were rubbish in comparison. .
    I am used to SAAB of that era, over engineered, tough, monocoque BUT it,s not a fair comparison with weaker two stroke engines and of course they didn,t ever really make a long term profit. Great cars in my mind as an engineered product (they did so much more with the Ford Taunus v4 engine) but not a commercially successful product in reality. It cost too much to make. SAAB were losing money from the 99 on. Volvo compromised on design for economy and became far bigger and more successful...
    Last edited by Zagato; 09-11-18 at 16:18.

Quote Originally Posted by TQA View Post
    85 mph ? You must have found one with a vary optimistic speedo. The factory claimed 68 mph. Not many could reach that and any kind of head wind would see them struggle to break 60.
    You are quite right. Typo for 75mph. You get a few extra mph out of an old, rattly one.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Sans Bateau View Post
    Golfs were not immune from tin worm, there were very few cars that were. It was only Alfa Romeo which seemed to get stuck with the stigma though.
    Mine was Mk 3 Golf, by which time the Germans seem to have cracked rust. We scrapped my other half's V-reg Polo over the summer, and there wasn't a significant speck of rust on it.

As I recall, the Alfa reputation came about when Italy took a load of dodgy steel from the USSR in exchange for something Italian the Kremlin wanted, then hastily palmed it off on the car industry.

As I recall, the Alfa reputation came about when Italy took a load of dodgy steel from the USSR in exchange for something Italian the Kremlin wanted, then hastily palmed it off on the car industry.
    It was the Alfa Sud that first had the dodgy steel, then Lancia (remember the Beta?). All tied up with the sale of the rights to the Fiat 124 which became the Lada.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    Lucky you didn't buy a Vauxhall Victor, they rusted away in about 5 years, or a Ford 100e which often had the suspension legs rot through the inner wings.
    How dare you Sir.

I had a Victor FC 1600, then an FD 2000, then an FE 2300 and finally a Carlton 2000 before I ended my love affair with Vauxhall.

Rust was only ever a problem if you went looking for it.

Having said that, I did fill the sills on the FE2300 with old engine oil and they didn't rust ... although there were no wheel arch liners so the wings were a bit crumbly.

Richard

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast