Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 180
  1. #91
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Carribbean currently Grenada
    Posts
    6,508

    Default Re: Anyone drive a MK2 Cortina?

    Quote Originally Posted by penberth3 View Post
    The Wolseley 6/110 and Austin Westminster had the BMC 6-cylinder engine (3-litre?). It was the Vanden Plas Princess R that had a Royce engine - that's what the R means. All used the same body, similar to the Austin Cambridge/Morris Oxford but a bit bigger.
    For a long time my daily driver was an Austin Westminster which had a breathed upon Healy 3000 engine with a six speed gearbox. 3 speed box with an agricultural overdrive that worked on all 3. The suspension was a little lower and a great deal stiffer. It came about because the boys at Abingdon needed something to chase around after Paddy Hopkirk et. al. It was a great street sleeper OK not off the lights but every where else.

    Nowadays I ramble around in a 1978 New Bombay Trading Company Explorer 44 which is another fast old lady.
    Last edited by TQA; 09-11-18 at 01:58.
    Monkey patching programmer [retired ]

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SW Scotland
    Posts
    17,890

    Default Re: Anyone drive a MK2 Cortina?

    Quote Originally Posted by elton View Post
    I never had a Cortina, but I've had two MK2 Granadas - the big brother of the Cortina. One was carburettor, the next was Bosch fuel injected, and went like sh*t off a stick, even though it was automatic. It had all the gadgets: electric windows, central locking, heated seats, and everything. They were lovely cars. I often fancied a MK2 2.3l injected Cortina, and fantasised about fitting a 2.8i engine, if it would fit.
    Thames Valley Police used to have an unmarked white Capri 2.8i with which they would go out hunting boy racers.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Home - Sothampton, Boat - Gosport
    Posts
    9,084

    Default Re: Anyone drive a MK2 Cortina?

    My first car was one of these

    img138-e1354910543143-1024x768.jpg

    A Wolseley 4/44, just two years younger than me. My parents paid 15 for it to keep me off a motor bike. It was a (mostly) mobile course in car mechanics and seemed to be capable of long journeys, but broke down with monotonous regularity a few days after I washed it. I sold it for 15 to someone who wanted to banger race it when I noticed that the passenger footwell was parting company with the rest of the car

    This was my next one:

    maxresdefault.jpg

    No reverse, but it didn't need it. The whole engine and front suspension pivoted on the front bulkhead through just over 180 degrees. Handling was, shall we say, interesting. On my first trip out, I went round a right a right hand bend and it was glued to the road. Then I came to a sharp left hander, where my weight acted to reduce stability, rather than increase it. New trousers, please, as I went round on two wheels and the front bumper
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SW Scotland
    Posts
    17,890

    Default Re: Anyone drive a MK2 Cortina?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    This was my next one:

    maxresdefault.jpg
    You jammy sod. I'd love to try one of these, having recently been reminded of them by watching "Soft Top, Hard Shoulder".

    I had a Reliant Rialto for a while, which was, after my 2CV, the most entertaining car I have ever had. Forty horsepower, weight two-fifths of bugger-all, went like that stuff off a shovel. Fun fact: nobody knows what the top speed of a Reliant Rialto is because nobody, including the factory test driver, has ever had the nerve to hang on until acceleration runs out. It's certainly over 100.
    Last edited by JumbleDuck; 09-11-18 at 10:30.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

  5. #95
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait
    Posts
    20,871

    Default Re: Anyone drive a MK2 Cortina?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    My first car was one of these

    img138-e1354910543143-1024x768.jpg

    A Wolseley 4/44, just two years younger than me. My parents paid 15 for it to keep me off a motor bike. It was a (mostly) mobile course in car mechanics and seemed to be capable of long journeys, but broke down with monotonous regularity a few days after I washed it. I sold it for 15 to someone who wanted to banger race it when I noticed that the passenger footwell was parting company with the rest of the car
    My first decent car was also a Wolseley 4/44, after a Morris van that was particularly poor. Very comfortable, built like a tank, leather seats, wooden dash and trim, but only a 1250 cc engine! Fast it was not. A friend had a side-valve Ford Popular that would out accelerate it to an embarrassing extent.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    7,861

    Default Re: Anyone drive a MK2 Cortina?

    Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    I had a Reliant Rialto for a while, which was, after my 2CV, the most entertaining car I have ever had. Forty horsepower, weight two-fifths of bugger-all, went like that stuff off a shovel. Fun fact: nobody knows what the top speed of a Reliant Rialto is because nobody, including the factory test driver, has ever had the nerve to hang on until acceleration runs out. It's certainly over 100.
    It's all about how you drive the, once chased one with our Fiesta van, it was hard to hang onto at 70 mph on sharpish bends, real eye opener.

    Try this one




    Brian
    Kddpowercentre VASR charge

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,541

    Default Re: Anyone drive a MK2 Cortina?

    Quote Originally Posted by elton View Post
    I never had a Cortina, but I've had two MK2 Granadas - the big brother of the Cortina. One was carburettor, the next was Bosch fuel injected, and went like sh*t off a stick, even though it was automatic. It had all the gadgets: electric windows, central locking, heated seats, and everything. They were lovely cars. I often fancied a MK2 2.3l injected Cortina, and fantasised about fitting a 2.8i engine, if it would fit.
    Think you might be getting your Cortina Mks mixed up. The first to get a 2.3 was the Mk4 and even then it was not injected. The Mk4 was also the one that looked a bit like a small Mk2 Granada and was launched and sold at around the same time. (1976/77 ish)
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SW Scotland
    Posts
    17,890

    Default Re: Anyone drive a MK2 Cortina?

    Quote Originally Posted by halcyon View Post
    It's all about how you drive the, once chased one with our Fiesta van, it was hard to hang onto at 70 mph on sharpish bends, real eye opener.
    The 2CV was almost unbeatable on twisty country roads, because although it didn't go particularly fast (top speed about 75mph) they cling to the road so tight that you basically never need to slow down. Using the brakes is seen as a bit of a faux pas in 2CV-owning circles. Golly, I'd like to get another one.

    Try this one
    Egad. Unlike the Rialto, the Robin is quite an efficient lifting body, aerodynamically. I really, really wouldn't want to take one of them fast.
    Last edited by JumbleDuck; 09-11-18 at 16:24. Reason: Correcting physically impossible typo - thanks, TQA
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SW Scotland
    Posts
    17,890

    Default Re: Anyone drive a MK2 Cortina?

    So, OP, how's that theory that everybody detests old cars and prefers modern blandness going?
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    31,979

    Default Re: Anyone drive a MK2 Cortina?

    Quote Originally Posted by halcyon View Post
    Yet for 10 out of 11 years the 1100/1300 range was top selling UK car, outsold buy the Mk2 Cortina for 1 year, BMC normally had 2 if not 3 cars in the top 5 selling.

    Just remembered as a Rubery Owen apprentice I redesigned the Cortina lower suspension link, it was a forging and I converted it to a fabrication.

    Brian
    Yes, amazing how gullible some people were in those days, wedded as they were to a belief that "British was best". BMC did not learn anything as subsequent cars were even worse when compared with the competition, particularly the Japanese cars then entering the market.

    We all know how it ended up.

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to