Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920 LastLast

Default Re: Anyone drive a MK2 Cortina?

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    The man who designed the triumph motorcycle engines Edward Turner was responsible for the Daimler V8. It was, of course, meant for the Jag Mk2 bodied saloon, not the Dart.
    I think it might be the motorcycle background which made Turner's V8 so unbelievably sweet. It went into the SP250 and Majestic Major first, and only went into the Daimler 250 body later, after Jaguar bought Daimler from BSA in 1960.

One of my customers had a faded red one-almost pink in fact-the chrome bumpers had almost completely rusted away leaving a vague shape of shiny chrome that one could poke a finger through.
    My pal has just spent a small fortune on very nice stainless repro bumpers, as his originals have rusted to bits. Did you know that Quentin Willson is working on a project to build an entire SP250 from spares bought on eBay. I believe he's getting on quite well with it.

I fitted an electronic ignition on this car which left the contact set in place-a Boyer I.D. unit.

It transformed the starting, idle and fuel consumption for under 50 quid, according to my customer who had had it from new.
    I shall pass that along, thanks. The Lucas D8 distributor is very hard to get parts for, and while 1-2-3 do a replacement for the Rolls-Royce version, Rolls used an electronic rev counter while the Dart uses a mechanical one. There are people who will convert the rev counter, and there are people who will fit the 1-2-3 works into a Lucas body, but both are scarily expensive options.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    I think it might be the motorcycle background which made Turner's V8 so unbelievably sweet. It went into the SP250 and Majestic Major first, and only went into the Daimler 250 body later, after Jaguar bought Daimler from BSA in 1960.
    Small point, but the Majestic Major had a 4.5l V8. Mayor of Poole had one until well into the 1990s.

The 2.5 in the Mk2 body was a big improvement on the anaemic 2.4 Jaguar engine, although most had automatic transmission which blunted performance a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    Small point, but the Majestic Major had a 4.5l V8.
    True, but basically the same engine.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

True, but basically the same engine.
    Same basic design but not the same engine. Much bigger all round. Of course dropped by Jaguar as their XK engine was much better suited to bigger cars and of course big Daimlers became XJ6s with crinkly bits on the grille or fancy limo bodies (D400) which then went on for years after the XJ6.

BTW the SP 250 was largely a TR4 underneath.

BTW the SP 250 was largely a TR4 underneath.
    TR3, and unofficially. Basically Daimler obtained a TR3 and reverse-engineered it without asking any permission. I expect the IP lawyers would have a field day today. They managed an excellent level of compatibility, though - I believe that people us TR3 gearboxes in Darts to get an overdrive and TR3 back axles fit as well, though that means downgrading from rear discs to drums. I drove the Dart up to Scotland for Kidderminster, which was quite an experience. It's rather low geared, so anything more than 70 is rather painful, but acceleration up to there is very pleasant. The steering is unspeakably dreadful, thanks to the use of a steering box rather than rack-and-pinion. For which they had no excuse, really, since Triumph managed to put a rack in the Herald, which came out in the same year.

By far the worst feature of that particular SP250, though, was that the bonnet catch let go when I was (a) ten miles from the end of a 350 mile journey and (b) doing 60mph. Up it came and broke itself in two over the top of the windscreen. Luckily my pal managed to find a good second-hand one on eBay (outbidding Quentin Willson). When it arrived we had a look at it an discovered that it had been mended from breaking across the middle. Then we looked at the broken one on the car, and found that it had already been repaired once for the same. The car now has an extra clip at the font, and I check the three clips which hold down the DS bonnet with religious fervour ...

Had the same thing with my MK1 Cortina going up the A11. Was only a week after I bought the car from my employer (for 250) and they agreed to pay for a new bonnet and catch which had worn and seized.

We forget how poorly engineered and built those 1950s sports cars were even by the standards of the times. Attractive looks and booming exhaust notes seduced buyers easily.

Had the same thing with my MK1 Cortina going up the A11. Was only a week after I bought the car from my employer (for 250) and they agreed to pay for a new bonnet and catch which had worn and seized.

We forget how poorly engineered and built those 1950s sports cars were even by the standards of the times. Attractive looks and booming exhaust notes seduced buyers easily.
    Daimler discovered something which applies to all other small-scale makers of GRP cars and indeed GRP boats: it's very easy and quite cheap to make a body (hull) but takes a lot more time and effort to fit out. Even by those standards, though, the design of the Dart is a disgrace. It was clearly put together by sitting a body on a knock-off TR3 chassis and then wandering round it saying "We need one of these ... and one of these ... and one of these ..." and sticking them on when they could. As I wrote, you have to drop the exhaust system to change the oil filter, for flip's sake. And don't get me started on removing the windscreen. Just don't.

And ... relax.

PS Curious fact about the TR3 body: it was designed to use almost entirely simple curves. Triumph had practically no press availability, but they could roll things.

PS Curious fact about the TR3 body: it was designed to use almost entirely simple curves. Triumph had practically no press availability, but they could roll things.
    Same with the Herald. The reason it had a chassis was because they had no equipment to produce a unitary body. Marketing men (wide boy salesmen actually) sold it as a benefit as no other comparable cars had chassis!

More trivia. The MGB wings were made in two parts, top and bottom because of limitation of presses - hence the chrome stripe to hide the join.

My first visit to Canley (Standard Triumph) in 1968 was like going into one of those grainy black and white propaganda films just after the war promoting the postwar industrial revival. Hammers used extensively to make sure all the panels fitted and doors stayed shut long enough to leave the factory. They were gearing up to build the Stag, billed as a competitor to Mercedes.

Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post
    Think you might be getting your Cortina Mks mixed up. The first to get a 2.3 was the Mk4 and even then it was not injected. The Mk4 was also the one that looked a bit like a small Mk2 Granada and was launched and sold at around the same time. (1976/77 ish)
    I guess you're right, but I always thought the Mk numbers ran in parallel with the Cortina and Granada, because they both seemed to adopt similar overall styling.

Anyway this is my old Mk2 Granada. Bought as a virtual wreck, I welded on 25 square feet of new steel, sprayed it matt black, got an MOT, and wasted thousands on four star . This was a camping trip to Durness, in the far north.

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920 LastLast