Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Default Re: Anyone drive a MK2 Cortina?

Quote Originally Posted by davidjackson View Post
    An 8 year old car today is barely run in and will certainly not have any signs of corrosion. It will be 100% reliable. It will be comfortable. It will have ride, handling and performance, especially in braking, far better than the cars of my youth.
    And soooooooo booooooooooooring.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN FANTASTIC View Post
    Yachts are more comparable to Houses rather than Cars. Uplift and maintenance are more important than age......thinking about it , thats excactly what I need for myself!!!
    Good point. My house is 200 years old (at least) and I have absolutely no desire to swap it for some foul, pokey little box with a design life of forty years.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

"Yachts are more comparable to Houses rather than Cars."

The car metaphor is one of the hardy annuals of forum life, i agree it's burning oil and due for the knacker's yard.

Considering houses, Seifert and his architect mates were all keen to get people to living in these

Mellish_Court-640x381.jpg

Whilst no doubt choosing for themselves one of these these:

image.jpg

Heart warming how many designers and racers actually keep an older boat for themselves

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Good point. My house is 200 years old (at least) and I have absolutely no desire to swap it for some foul, pokey little box with a design life of forty years.
    I live in a poky little box, actually a 5-bedroom poky little box. I'll say one thing for it; it's the first house I have ever lived in that didn't have draughts and leave me shivering in the winter.

I'm sure that the time scale is the thing. A '70s boat is equivalent to a 8-yr old car. There are plenty of people driving around in these old beasts, which give good service at little cost for those willing to accept their restrictions. Many '70s boats were very poor, with features borrowed from the racers of the time and ending up with pinched sterns, poor accommodation and inadequate sail area, but the better ones are serviceable to those willing to accept shortcomings.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Wish I still had some of my old cars, they would be worth a lot more now than I sold them for. Morgan Matchless engined 3 wheeler (sold for £35 in 1963), Lotus Elan, Lotus Cosworth Super 7, couple of Jags, etc. OTOH, storage would have cost a bundle.

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    Whilst no doubt choosing for themselves one of these these:

image.jpg
    For his entire working life Richard Seifert lived in a modest semi-detached house in Mill Hill - though he did later buy and demolish the three neighbouring properties to get a huge garden.

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    I'm sure that the time scale is the thing. A '70s boat is equivalent to a 8-yr old car. There are plenty of people driving around in these old beasts, which give good service at little cost for those willing to accept their restrictions.
    My daily driver is a 15 year old CitroŽn Berlingo which cost me a whopping £525. I shall use it till it falls apart, then scrap it without regret and look for something of similar age/price. Qyuentin Willson's Bangernomics has a lot to be said for it! It would be quite possible to do the same sailing - plenty of solid 70s/80s boats around for a few grand at most which could be passed onto some mug on eBay as soon as significant work was needed.

Get the best of both worlds (car wise) and buy a Morgan. Maybe also get a Rustler 33 to complement it.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post

Not mine. Mine's even nicer. Dark blue with a cream roof.
    That's a REAL classic, i had the Safari version in 1978. even by today's standard of modern cars ( which all look the same - bit like modern yachts) the Citroen was miles ahead with technology. I do concede though that the French government of the day poured zillions of francs into Citroen! But i guess our lot did as well with British Leyland?

Quote Originally Posted by jant View Post
    That's a REAL classic, i had the Safari version in 1978. even by today's standard of modern cars ( which all look the same - bit like modern yachts) the Citroen was miles ahead with technology. I do concede though that the French government of the day poured zillions of francs into Citroen! But i guess our lot did as well with British Leyland?
    I don't think the French government subsidised CitroŽn while it was owned by Michelin, though they pushed through the merger with Peugeot and have handed across money ever since. The most remarkable thing about the DS, to me, is that despite its complexity they managed to make a profit selling them for prices in line with other, far less sophisticated, cars in the same sector. They cost about the same as a Rover P5, for example.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast