Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920

Default Re: Anyone drive a MK2 Cortina?

Quote Originally Posted by islecastle1 View Post
    I use a MGB GT and a Standard 10 for daily transport.
    There is, or was, a Standard 10 used as a daily driver at Carronbridge, where the Dalveen Pass diverges from the Thornhill road. Any relation to yours? I thought of buying that one, just for fun, but decided that I couldn't offer it the shelter it needed,
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    There is, or was, a Standard 10 used as a daily driver at Carronbridge, where the Dalveen Pass diverges from the Thornhill road. Any relation to yours? I thought of buying that one, just for fun, but decided that I couldn't offer it the shelter it needed,
    Could be. How long ago was this? I got the car 3 years ago from Barrhill, where it had been for some years. South Lanarkshire registration LVD XXX. If it is the same car it would be nice to check it out.

Could be. How long ago was this? I got the car 3 years ago from Barrhill, where it had been for some years. South Lanarkshire registration LVD XXX. If it is the same car it would be nice to check it out.
    I'm pretty sure the one I saw was still under a tarpaulin at Carronbridge last year. Pale blue.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

I'm pretty sure the one I saw was still under a tarpaulin at Carronbridge last year. Pale blue.
    Thanks for that Ian. I'll have to go and have a look at it.

Thanks for that Ian. I'll have to go and have a look at it.
    I'll be driving through there tomorrow and will have a shufti. End terrace house on the left as you drive north.

I'll be driving through there tomorrow and will have a shufti. End terrace house on the left as you drive north.

My Alan Prior Coaster 33 has gone 40 and is still as good as she was built.Her Mercedes 40hp long stroke OM636 is also going strong.
    As for the cars from those days the 1100 if you got them before they began to rust away were good and comfortable to drive as were the Cortina ones and twos and as long as you looked after the engines they lasted as well.

I ask because various members of the Parish are waxing lyrical about old "classic" yachts from that time. Would anyone really go back to the unreliability and rust of the 70’s for their motoring? Why then do people hark back to the olden days of sailing as a golden era of design?

Referring back to the OP, many people have described their appreciating classic cars from the 60's and 70's, even from the 80's. Others have described fond memories of such cars, even of just seeing them on the road. My reason for having a classic car for summer use is that its good to drive, well sorted, and it pleases me when I (regularly) find notes stuffed under the wipers along the lines of "if you ever want to sell please call ..... ". Boats of the same era are depreciating towards worthlessness, in the same way that most now considered 'classic' cars did, but more slowly. I suggest that the best ones will survive and eventually become appreciating assets in time, perhaps with people looking back to the 'glorious' IOR design regime?

Quote Originally Posted by escapism View Post
    I suggest that the best ones will survive and eventually become appreciating assets in time, perhaps with people looking back to the 'glorious' IOR design regime?
    I hope the same thing happens to my 1998 MGF....genuine car...70k.....owned for 13 years...currently worth a few hundred quid...maybe in the future the values will start creeping up
    Yacht: White Pearl - Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 32i

probablly in fact because the rear end had come so far round that the headlights were actually pointing into the ditch !!

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920