Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Default Re: Anyone drive a MK2 Cortina?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    Or a Morris 1100
    Even a Rover 3500
    Perhaps a Fiat 124

Or any car from the 70s?

I ask because various members of the Parish are waxing lyrical about old "classic" yachts from that time. Would anyone really go back to the unreliability and rust of the 70s for their motoring? Why then do people hark back to the olden days of sailing as a golden era of design?

......waiting for incoming...
    I would be very happy to own and drive a MK2 Cortina, especially if it was a 1600E in aubergine

image.jpg
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Have you seen the price genuine Mk1 Lotus Cortinas are fetching?
    'The will of the people' = The will of a few fanatics who have duped the unsuspecting.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    ... ...
    My other old car is a Triumph Herald 13/60 convertible which I have owned since 1985. Currently off the road while I try to work out why it dies whenever I take it uphill or exceed 30mph. Something funny in the fuel supply system, I think .....
    I had an old Post Office van that did that. It turned out to be a fractured lead to the distributor that went open circuit when the vacuum advance rotated the distributor body.

Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post
    I would be very happy to own and drive a MK2 Cortina, especially if it was a 1600E in aubergine

image.jpg

The only car to knock the 1100 of the number 1 spot, during it's 10 year run as best UK seller.

Brian
    Kddpowercentre VASR charge

Used to drive a mk2 cortina as a spare car but not the best of drives but there were a lot of bad ones in those days.The 1600E was a decent car handled well and decent ride.I had succession of sports cars then including a Sunbeam Alpine,2 triumph gt 6 s followed by a triumph Dolomite Sprint which had the usual cylinder head problems but a very quick nice handling car .If I owned these now would be worth a tidy sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Sans Bateau View Post
    Many of the French cars in the 70's and 80's had very complex maintenance procedures, when I owned a garage in this period I soon realised there was lots of money to be made as the average workshop only want easy repairs, Vauxhall, Ford, Leyland. The French and other European makes allowed a premium to be charged.
    I had a friend with one of the 1980s Peugeot 505 estates - the ones which looked like hearses - which was designed with such fine disregard for maintenance that you had to remove the radiator in order to fit a fan belt.

And they there were cassette points. The horror, the horror.

DS maintenance tens to be complicated but straightforward, as you have to remove lots of simple parts and make lots of simple adjustments. Modern cars tend to have far fewer but far more complicated parts, which makes repair easy if you have th eparts and a living nightmare if you haven't.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Hoolie View Post
    I had an old Post Office van that did that. It turned out to be a fractured lead to the distributor that went open circuit when the vacuum advance rotated the distributor body.
    Noted! I'll check that. I fitted a 1-2-3 electronic distributor to the DS last year. It has generally been excellent, but died completely on me returning from the UK rally in June. Turned out that, despite charging ~€300 for the distributor, 1-2-3 use stupidly cheap crimp connectors on the supply wires, and the power supply one had a fatigue fracture inside its plastic sheathing. It looked absolutely fine, and even held together fine when pulled. Luckily I carry a continuity tester and a suspicious mind, and we were on the go again after 10 minutes.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Hoolie View Post
    I had the same with a Skoda. On full vacuum and centrifugal advance the locating pin for the points shorted out across to the body earth and the engine misfired, which retarded the timing so the short was removed and the engine would fire again .... a sort of unwanted rev limiter!

It was a bugger to diagnose with many false conclusions.

Richard

After I passed my test in early '65, I am trying to remember how often I had a car quit on the road. Three times, but all due to expecting over tuned engines to stay together. Cam chains X two and crank X one.;
    I did have a 1962 R4 strip it's timing gear (tufnol)in '74, so that's four.. Much later, I had another R4 stop at a junction. The fuel pump had failed, but a 5 ltr can on the roof rack with a bit of tube sorted that, so I do not count that.
    But, in 87 snow shorted out the ignition on a R5, I hitched to the next garage and bought some WD40, fixed. So, one could count that.
    Since then, they got me home..
    The current Scenic does have a mind of its own and I might be re-thinking this..

My favourite failure, which was even more fun than the big end going on my father's Ford Popular Gothic Perpendicular, was when I started hooting at cars on the A41 roundabouts in my original Mini. It was a few roundabouts in the dark and wet, before I worked out that my ill manners occurred each time I pressed the brake pedal. My temporary solution was to avoid using the brakes, and when we got to our destination to pull the wires out of the horn.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast