Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Default Re: Anyone drive a MK2 Cortina?

I cant say I ever had one of the 'old' cars break down on me. The closest I suppose I got was when the big ends started to rattle on an MGB on the M4 heading to my parents one weekend. It got me there, Sat morning we sourced two variations of big end shells 'sale or return' and a sump gasket and oil and by 6 oclock we had dropped the sump, fitted what turned out to be standard shells and cleaned up in time to drive to the pub.

The only other time perhaps was when I had to change the water pump on a mini on the side of the road, whilst wearing a suit taking a girlfriend out for the evening. She wasnt impressed with my skills it seems, I didnt see her again!
    'The will of the people' = The will of a few fanatics who have duped the unsuspecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sans Bateau View Post
    I cant say I ever had one of the 'old' cars break down on me. The closest I suppose I got was when the big ends started to rattle on an MGB on the M4 heading to my parents one weekend. It got me there, Sat morning we sourced two variations of big end shells 'sale or return' and a sump gasket and oil and by 6 oclock we had dropped the sump, fitted what turned out to be standard shells and cleaned up in time to drive to the pub.

The only other time perhaps was when I had to change the water pump on a mini on the side of the road, whilst wearing a suit taking a girlfriend out for the evening. She wasnt impressed with my skills it seems, I didnt see her again!
    Suits have a bad effect on some cars.
    I was driving an old banger back from an interview once, changed into top gear, or 'fourth' as it was known in those days, and the gear lever fell on the floor.
    As the suit was worth more than the car, I drove home in top.

Quote Originally Posted by Sans Bateau View Post

As one did in the past ! I changed a timing chain in a car park in Salford on a 220/8 Mercedes about 1978. Had no back up whatsoever and minimal cash. Just had to be done. Most people then accepted doing stuff on your own. I just carried most of a workshop toolkit everywhere.. Don't ask what I have on the boat for tools and spares

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    I was driving an old banger back from an interview once, changed into top gear, or 'fourth' as it was known in those days, and the gear lever fell on the floor.
    The gear lever of my 2CV came away in my hand as I turned into the hospital car park in Dumfries. My wife was beside me. She was in labour. That has not been forgotten.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    The gear lever of my 2CV came away in my hand as I turned into the hospital car park in Dumfries. My wife was beside me. She was in labour. That has not been forgotten.
    Original Mk1 Cortina with the long direct gear lever had a weld attaching the vertical bit to the cranked bit. When it failed it just went all wobbly. My wife broke at least 2 but it was still my fault!

Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post
    I would be very happy to own and drive a MK2 Cortina, especially if it was a 1600E in aubergine

Attachment 74170
    Mine was gold. Had it for 10 years including two lots of welding up the front bulkhead inner wing area. gave it to a lad up the road who did it properly and got another 10 years or so out of it.

Fond memories, particularly stopping at the side of the road as the milometer rolled round to all the zeros.

Another 'save':
    Driving round Trafalgar Sq. in a 2T Saab, the gear lever dropped in my lap. It was Sunday morn and quite quiet, so I just stopped her on the side of the island and had a look. A pin had dropped out of the universal joint. Humm, it can't be far, so I walked back in the road about 50mtrs and found it!Back at the car, I noticed two policemen observing me and looking a bit stern... Put the pin in and wrapped some sticky tape round it and fired up. As I drove off the police gave me a handclap..Different days. Prob '73.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    Suits have a bad effect on some cars.
    As the suit was worth more than the car, I drove home in top.
    I forgot about that! I was on my driving test in an HB Viva, as I lifted the gear lever for reverse it came away in my hand, luckily as it was not the first time it had happened I just put it back and screwed down the retainer, it was almost like the screw top of a jar. I think the examiner had a word with my instructor about maintenance!

PS I passed, first time.
    'The will of the people' = The will of a few fanatics who have duped the unsuspecting.

That reminds me - my first 3 company cars were HB viva, Hillman Avenger 1250 and Morris Marina 1800. Still can't decide which was the worst even by the standards of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    That reminds me - my first 3 company cars were HB viva, Hillman Avenger 1250 and Morris Marina 1800. Still can't decide which was the worst even by the standards of the day.
    The Marina 1800TC was the CitroŽn Saxo VTR of its day. By the time they were getting on a bit they were cheap but (comparatively) fast, and no pimpled nineteen year old would be seen without one, silencer gutted, rear suspension raised and fifteen year old girlfriend in the front seat.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast