Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Default Re: Anyone drive a MK2 Cortina?

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    The Marina 1800TC was the CitroŽn Saxo VTR of its day. By the time they were getting on a bit they were cheap but (comparatively) fast, and no pimpled nineteen year old would be seen without one, silencer gutted, rear suspension raised and fifteen year old girlfriend in the front seat.
    Mine was the basic single carb metallic light green with poo coloured velour and cord upholstery. Special gearbox with gears in a different lever position each time you wanted to select one and a sound track like pebbles rolling down the road coming from a different wheel each time.

I remember my Brummie colleague when he saw the suspension and brake layout in the drawing office remarking that it was virtually identical to a 1947 Morris Minor - which indeed it turned out to be. No expense spared! Fortunately after 5000 eventful miles I changed employers and my new car was a Ford Granada.

i do recognise your characterisation of later owners though.

Mate was sent down to Lisbon with a Marina to 'Announce' it there. Back then there was ferry from Southamton direct to Lisbon. The skipper decided it was all right to set off into known bad weather. Turned out to be a hurricane..
    Everybody was confined to cabins and several of the crew suffered broken bones. Some heavy stuff got loose on the car deck and considerable damage caused.
    On arrival, he watch dozens of cars being dragged off, including a Rolls with the front crushed flat.
    Naturally, his Marina was untouched.

Some good did come of the Marina, quite a few Moggies have disc brakes off them. It makes driving one a bit less stressfull.
    Last edited by DownWest; 08-11-18 at 17:09.

I worked on this one a while ago ( rust prevention ).

I can't download the picture of the C reg Cortina.

Have to say I thought it was horrible, really tinny, the bonnet was just a flap of metal, you can see why they called them Dagenham dustbins...

Some early cars were fun to drive, in spite of their faults. My MIL's Morris Minor station wagon would corner interestingly when loaded up with passengers. On the other hand, the nastiest car I ever drove, and only briefly, was my brother's MG Maestro. With wide tyres and no power steering, no suspension that was evident, a noisy engine and duff gearbox, I was glad to hand it back after only a couple of miles.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    Some early cars were fun to drive, in spite of their faults. My MIL's Morris Minor station wagon would corner interestingly when loaded up with passengers.
    I had - briefly - a Minor 1000 four-door saloon and thought it was a lovely car to drive. I was too skint to buy it a working battery, so always had to start it by hand. Ah, happy memories.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

I recall the Triumph Spitfire had an inspired piece of engine design whereby the exhaust manifold was located underneath the inlet manifold on same side of the engine; I recall driving back from Southend to London with a strong smell of petrol in the "cockpit" - stopping to investigate revealed petrol pouring out of a leaking carburettor and vapourising on the hot exhaust manifold below. Naturally I carried on driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagato View Post
    I worked on this one a while ago ( rust prevention ).

I can't download the picture of the C reg Cortina.

Have to say I thought it was horrible, really tinny, the bonnet was just a flap of metal, you can see why they called them Dagenham dustbins...
    you have to remember that its competitors at the time were wonderful things like Hillman Minxes, Vauxhall Victors, Austin Cambridges etc, most of which were based on early 1950s design.

The Cortina was a revelation. All syncro 4 speed boxes, airflow ventilation (from 65), huge boots plenty of room inside etc. OK they were light but they rusted better than the others. Other new designs like the 11/1300 might have been clever but they were badly engineered and even more badly put together.

I worked for Ford in that era from leaving school until 1968 when I changed to a major component supplier. I could not believe how awful the manufacturing facilities were in for example Rootes and Standard Triumph, never mind BMC. The only one that got anywhere near Ford was Vauxhall, but the cars were rubbish in comparison.

See post#81 for my assessment of the cortina competitors. How we envied the reps who serviced the Ford account as they had Cortinas.

Quote Originally Posted by eddystone View Post
    I recall the Triumph Spitfire had an inspired piece of engine design whereby the exhaust manifold was located underneath the inlet manifold on same side of the engine
    That went for anything without a crossflow head, which was most things. It was an easy way of arranging heating of the inlet manifold.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    See post#81 for my assessment of the cortina competitors. How we envied the reps who serviced the Ford account as they had Cortinas.
    Yet for 10 out of 11 years the 1100/1300 range was top selling UK car, outsold buy the Mk2 Cortina for 1 year, BMC normally had 2 if not 3 cars in the top 5 selling.

Just remembered as a Rubery Owen apprentice I redesigned the Cortina lower suspension link, it was a forging and I converted it to a fabrication.

Brian
    Kddpowercentre VASR charge

I never had a Cortina, but I've had two MK2 Granadas - the big brother of the Cortina. One was carburettor, the next was Bosch fuel injected, and went like sh*t off a stick, even though it was automatic. It had all the gadgets: electric windows, central locking, heated seats, and everything. They were lovely cars. I often fancied a MK2 2.3l injected Cortina, and fantasised about fitting a 2.8i engine, if it would fit.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast