Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: One woman's year alone at sea

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    On the skim read I've had she was not really alone or at sea for a year, just lived on a boat. None event really.
    I skimmed as far as:

" Brittany is the epicentre of sailing and everyone was interested in my journey. “You are taking on the nose of Brittany!?! By yourself? In this leetle boat?” This reaction became common, so rare are solo female sailors."

And there was me wondering how Breetany produces so many attractive women sailing their 'leetle' carbon fibre boats like sea witches bouncing off every corner of the globe as they go

Quote Originally Posted by Pirx View Post
    Can't be a proper sailor, she's wearing poncy gloves.

I agree with her about the Med. Been here for a few days and been lashed with the heaviest ran I have ever seen (caused flooding along the coast) and had a wild broach of a ride (a scrap of sail up) in what was forecast to be F4 with gusts of 6. Average speed for 60 nm was 10.5 knots. I felt like turning back to the Atlantic.

I have always envied those who are able to make a few quid out of their sailing hobby, but not enough to be jealous or spiteful toward them.
    But the attractive picture she is painting could result in more Guardian readers in boats when we all know sailors should be miserable beggars who read the Mail.

The Guardian could probably last an Atlantic crossing

Quote Originally Posted by Sgeir View Post
    So, what's the problem with writing for a wider audience?

OK, you know lots of people who've done that, whereas I only know a few, so I like to read about their experiences. Articles about sailing are interesting for many folk in here. That's why they read the magazines that sponsor this forum.
    I suppose it is a generational thing.

When I was young we would do something, perhaps a day out doing Point 5 on the Ben or a week in Skye climbing, at the end of the day get down to the pub and say we had a cracking day. These days you need to record things, ideally with a drone, to show the world.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    But the attractive picture she is painting could result in more Guardian readers in boats when we all know sailors should be miserable beggars who read the Mail.
    Lol, the combination of a free press and a free market has spawned a myriad of papers in the UK, not to mention the foreign editions.

The Guardian's circulation is falling faster than most, losing over a quarter of its readers since 2012. Perhaps it cares about this, perhaps not. Either is fine.
    Last edited by dom; 06-11-18 at 11:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    When I was young we would do something, perhaps a day out doing Point 5 on the Ben or a week in Skye climbing, at the end of the day get down to the pub and say we had a cracking day. These days you need to record things, ideally with a drone, to show the world.
    I suppose it must have all gone wrong for you when Ben Humble, Bill Murray, Tom Patey, Tom Weir et al started writing about their days out.
    Ω

Nice one Sgeir.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgeir View Post
    I suppose it must have all gone wrong for you when Ben Humble, Bill Murray, Tom Patey, Tom Weir et al started writing about their days out.
    Or those sodding Abraham Brothers capturing on wet plates or film every move the Victorian climbing pioneers made.

And don't get me started on Beken. Let's face it, you didn't ever see or read about anything to do with sailing until 'selfies' were invented. About 1880.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast