Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: One woman's year alone at sea

And if have to read one more inane blog from Maurice Griffiths about his weekend or Claud Worth about being unshaven in Cowes High St I'll go crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgeir View Post
    I suppose it must have all gone wrong for you when Ben Humble, Bill Murray, Tom Patey, Tom Weir et al started writing about their days out.
    Mountaineering in Scotland is one of the definitive books on the subject and my Desert Island book. Written many years after the event in a prisoner of war camp during WWII.

Hamish MacInnes also wrote a moving book "Call-Out" about mountain rescue. As the son of a nurse in the Belford Hospital she had some interesting stories to tell.

Saying all that I have appeared in a "vblog" of the climb, Moonraker on Berry Head, the first belay being the boat! My job was to look after the boat, my days of climbing HVS 5a are long gone, and spending the day on a rising F4 easterly on a rather vertical lee shore was rather "interesting".
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Ah, the Rannoch Moor lifeboat incident.....
    Ω

Quote Originally Posted by Wansworth View Post
    Nic 26......probably built Burnes Shipyard in Bosham,Chichester
    Definitely a Nice 26, not all were fitted out in Bosham, mine was done in Gosport.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

Quote Originally Posted by Sgeir View Post
    Ah, the Rannoch Moor lifeboat incident.....
    You know the book

There is still a Terrordactyl ice axe in the loft, that gives my age away! But the ideal tool for Scottish winter climbing. I should donate it to a museum.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    . . . There is still a Terrordactyl ice axe in the loft . . . I should donate it to a museum.
    If it is the axe and not the hammer (they already have mine), then the Mountain Heritage Trust would love one for the collection ( http://www.mountain-heritage.org ).

There is a national collection in Scotland as well, but I know that they have one as well as a lot of Hamish MacInnes' archive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    There is still a Terrordactyl ice axe in the loft, that gives my age away!
    I also still have my Terrordactyl axe, great for tent pegs. Still perfectly useable which is more than can be said for the French ("Charlet dit 'non'") hammer that I bought at the same time. The pick buckled on the second day.......
    Ω

Leaving aside the alpinistas.
    I quite enjoyed her tale. Not too overdramatic and a nice feel about things. The sexist attitude in Iberia did not surprise me. Not many, but you do notice them..
    The cabin shot was 'interesting' not what I have seen in most cruising boats a bit bigger. Every other shot I have seen in a mid 20s boat had quite a lot more clutter. A lot more..
    I wish her well.

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    Leaving aside the alpinistas.
    I quite enjoyed her tale. Not too overdramatic and a nice feel about things. The sexist attitude in Iberia did not surprise me. Not many, but you do notice them..
    The cabin shot was 'interesting' not what I have seen in most cruising boats a bit bigger. Every other shot I have seen in a mid 20s boat had quite a lot more clutter. A lot more..
    I wish her well.
    She doesn't have any oven, which effectively gives her another locker in the saloon. I guess her boat has the same configuration as mine, two quarter berths rather than a vee berth in the stem. There's a lot more storage there, too. Mine also has small lockers above the berths as well. They make the saloon a bit more claustrophobic but I really need the space. I like the white T&G saloon lining it's lightened the interior a lot, but no curtains(?) OK for when you're anchored but I do like a bit of privacy in harbour. My heads (in the fore cabin) doubles as my sail locker and the chain locker is behind the Lavac. Not a lot of free space there either.

The aluminium window frames indicate a late model '26 which would definitely have been a Burns fit out, unless she was originally "Pinkaloo" which was fitted out by Halmatic for a director.
    Last edited by Topcat47; 07-11-18 at 18:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Wansworth View Post
    Nic 26......probably built Burnes Shipyard in Bosham,Chichester
    Definitely a Nice 26, not all were fitted out in Bosham, mine was done in Gosport.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast