Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bricks & mortar: Italy. Me & boat: Aegean

Default Re: SSR registration fee increase

Quote Originally Posted by James_Calvert View Post
    So can you print off as many "originals" as you like?
    That's the compelling irony of the demand for "original" documents. Many boat document originals, even down to the "signatures", are just a very long string of ones and zeroes.
    All epigrams are false

Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    That's the compelling irony of the demand for "original" documents. Many boat document originals, even down to the "signatures", are just a very long string of ones and zeroes.
    The SSR certificate comes in the post as a hard paper copy. Got mine last week and immediately laminated it myself.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    The SSR certificate comes in the post as a hard paper copy. Got mine last week and immediately laminated it myself.

Richard
    Be careful with lamination. We recently had something arrive and it specifically said NOT to laminate it as that would invalidate it (the document was to do with citizenship). I also notice that my ICC has a holographic security mark, which lamination might well damage or even destroy. Not saying that's the case with the SSR, but laminating official certificates should be preceded by enquiry as to whether the document may be laminated.

I suspect the DVLA might have something to say about a laminated paper part of your driving licence if it needed points adding!

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

Quote Originally Posted by AntarcticPilot View Post
    Be careful with lamination. We recently had something arrive and it specifically said NOT to laminate it as that would invalidate it (the document was to do with citizenship). I also notice that my ICC has a holographic security mark, which lamination might well damage or even destroy. Not saying that's the case with the SSR, but laminating official certificates should be preceded by enquiry as to whether the document may be laminated.

I suspect the DVLA might have something to say about a laminated paper part of your driving licence if it needed points adding!
    Paper counterpart to the driving licence was scrapped about 18 months/2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by duncan99210 View Post
    Paper counterpart to the driving licence was scrapped about 18 months/2 years ago.
    I didn't know that, and am sure I've been asked for it since its abolition, which you are quite right about.

It doesn't alter my point that lamination of some official documents may actually invalidate them. The one I was specifically warned about by the issuer was in connection with my wife's citizenship, so it was actually pretty important!
    Last edited by AntarcticPilot; 05-11-18 at 15:08.

Quote Originally Posted by duncan99210 View Post
    Thankfully, some of us still have a proper paper driving licence.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Thankfully, some of us still have a proper paper driving licence.
    Way back in 1987, when paper licences were still current, I hired a car in New Mexico, in the USA. After they'd looked at my tatty bit of paper and turned it every which-way, they finally asked me where I was from. It took quite a while to get through to them that I am British - I did, perhaps, make things difficult for myself by not saying "English" - but as far as I'm concerned, I'm a citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. After that, I'm Yorkshire - England doesn't figure in my identity at all. But I was biting my tongue when they asked "Where's that? South Africa?

Perhaps the fact that it was "Rent-a-Wreck" that we were dealing with had something to do with it - I'm sure the usual airport companies would have been fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngmar View Post
    Alas, in an up to date web browser you can no longer even access the SSR registration website, as their SSL certificate issuer had its trust revoked (in non-nerd: the government bought internet certificates from a dodgy company and is still using them).

So How do you renew?

What do you get now? A PDF to print yourself like the Ofcom license?

Quote Originally Posted by Telstar26 View Post
    Just noticed that the SSR fee is increasing from £25 to £35 on 13th Nov, so if your renewal is due soon, do it now!

PDF Link: https://assets.publishing.service.go..._fees_2018.pdf
    Renewal: https://mcanet.mcga.gov.uk/ssr/ssr/
    "How much is inflation" ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

I bought an SSR in 2008 for £25, not sure how long it was that price before then

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast